Strongest 'glue'?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 11:30am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #1 of 5

if i needed to re attach a piece of a figure on again what would be the strongest option do you think....royal icing or a gumpaste/fondant 'glue'?

I need it to really hold, any other ideas welcome

4 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 5

You didn't mention what the figure was made of, how large it is or to what it would be attached... so I'll just share my own experience.

I have found that gumpaste glue can make fondant go gooey. It has worked great for me sticking gumpaste to gumpaste.

I have found that royal icing is fairly fool-proof, no matter how I use it.

I have used for small items a 50/50 mixture or meringue powder and water, and that works well.

Elise87 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 5

Oh sorry it is made entirely of fondant and i need to rettach 2 small hands that will be holding up a tray, i know...very tricky lol

Anyway thanks, i will try the royal icing then

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:10am
post #4 of 5

If the hands actually need to bear weight, you might consider sticking a small piece of toothpick into the wrist end of the arm and into the hands, as a sort of brace.

For the next time, consider making your figures out of gumpaste or at least a mixture of gumpaste/fondant. It dries much firmer and faster, and it's just so easy to work with.

Elise87 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:30am
post #5 of 5

yeh i made it out of fondant because that is all i had at the time but i knew that would cause problems.

It's already dried so i can't stick any toothpicks in it, I tried the RI but I don't think i made it right in such a small amount so it's not working too well so i just stuck something underneath to help support what it is carrying so that will have to do icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%