How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #211 of 1361

Kirigami - Did you dip the lollipop sticks in chocolate before you put them in the cake ball? I do this and I havent had any problems with them falling off ....until the last bite....kind of like a popsicle does. Hope that helps.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #212 of 1361

Maybe this was already covered and I missed it, But has anyone tried using a chocolate fountain to cover the "balls"?

Thought it might cover and dry smoother.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #213 of 1361

bobwonderbuns, I have that problem occasionally. Notices that I deleted because I was on the page when they arrived are suspect...

all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #214 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by azglobs

Maybe this was already covered and I missed it, But has anyone tried using a chocolate fountain to cover the "balls"?

That's a great idea! Does chocolate fountain chocolate set up? I've only seen 'em in pictures or on shows....never up close and running....

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #215 of 1361

I have never had an up close and personal experience with a chocolate fountain either. But I figured since the chocolate used starts out solid, it must become solid again at some point.
Maybe after some time in the fridge?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:24pm
post #216 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by azglobs

That's a great idea! Does chocolate fountain chocolate set up? I've only seen 'em in pictures or on shows....never up close and running....

The chocolate used in my fountain does not set up... it is a dipping chocolate, and I don't think that would work very well.... icon_sad.gif

all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #217 of 1361

Is it the same type chocolate that's used to dip strawberries for like those tuxedos? That sets up....

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #218 of 1361

Gee whiz, how did this thread get so big so fast and I never saw it till today? I love making cake balls. It's hot and humid where I live, so deep frozen cake balls are the only kind that will get the chocolate to harden when they're dipped. I don't refrigerate them after dipping though. Whenever I make a cake, I mix the leftovers with the icing, adding whatever else I think of - liquor, extracts, nuts, dried fruits and whatever - and immediately freeze the balls on a tray. I transfer them to a zipper bag and that way, they don't take up so much space when I'm storing them. I have bags of chocolate cake+bc, vanilla cake+chocolate-berry ganache and choclate cake+dark chocolate ganache waiting to be dipped. Today I'm making carrot cake w/cream cheese frosting and almond cake w/nutella filling, so by Thanksgiving, I'll be good and ready. I'm planning to dip them in autumn-colored chocolate melts to make my last autumn decorations: cake ball trees decorated with gold dusted fondant leaves. I'll send pics if they look like anything. Thanks, everyone, for the great tips and flavor combinations!!!

cookinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinqueen Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #219 of 1361

Has any one tried using the powdered coffee cream in the cake balls? My cake is very moist and i barely need to add any binder at all, so you really can't taste what ever i add, so i thought about the powdered creamer. Whatcha think?

Michelle

cookinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinqueen Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:24pm
post #220 of 1361

Check out this website

http://www.austincakeball.com/cakeballs

Thanks
Michelle

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #221 of 1361

Ooh! They even list the combos - lots of new variations!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:41pm
post #222 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinqueen

Check out this website

http://www.austincakeball.com/cakeballs

Thanks
Michelle

Fantastic site~! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for sharing that Michelle... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #223 of 1361

Cookingqueen, I've never used the powdered creamer - but that definitely would help decrease the amount of liquid but give a bigger flavor boost, especially when you have moist cake.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #224 of 1361

There is also this site: http://cruffles.com/ They look beautful, but they are selling for $25/dozen, I'm curious to know if they get a lot of orders at that price. That would be nice icon_smile.gif.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:28pm
post #225 of 1361

Here's another cruffle site, $15/dz: http://buythedozenbakery.com/Cruffles.html

or here for $27/dz: http://buythedozenbakery.com/Cruffles.html

There is also this link from Pioneer Woman Cooks: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/cake-balls-halloween-style/ Hers don't look super smooth when finished, but still cute and she had great photos of the consistancy of the cake/binder mix.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #226 of 1361

I stopped by hobby Lobby today & they have 4 1/2" up to 24" (height) styro cones.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:59pm
post #227 of 1361

Ok ...I just tried to use my chocolate fountain for dipping. Its a lot of work and the finished product is the same a dipping in a bowl. But what I did do differently was use a toothpick like I have been reading that may of you use. I was surprised at how nicely they came out. I think that I may switch from spoon dipping to toothpick dipping.
There is a lot of chocolate waste with making cake balls, any of you have any suggestions on how to keep that to a minimum?

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #228 of 1361

I too am using the toothpick now. But what I did is got a piece of styrofoam and I stick the ball with the toothpick in the styrofoam to dry. No pooling and almost no dripping.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:56am
post #229 of 1361

Fullhouse--thanks for the link to the Pioneerwoman website.I've never tried these and it was nice to see exactly what kind of consistancy was needed.

I still want to make these during the holidays. I love the trees. They are so pretty!!

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:44am
post #230 of 1361

Hello all.
I've been looking at all your beautiful pictures and Bakerellas page, and now want to make cakeballs too. But I want to make them to look like something, like Bakerella's reindeers, I love those icon_eek.gif

My idea is to make santa's head, but I don't have acces to candy melts, I don't even know if they come in skin color, so I was thinking about dipping in RI. First skin color for the face, then red for the hat, and then pipe on a beard, eyes and so on.

Am I nuts? Have anyone tried this? icon_confused.gif

all4cake Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #231 of 1361

lomfise, I've never tried it. One thing did come to mind though when thinking about your proposed idea...if you dip a somewhat greasy(even residual grease), would that compromise the royal icing and make it not set up...I don't know...I'm just asking 'cause when you get something greasy in the bowl while making r/i, it won't stiffen the way it should. What about dipping them into pourable fondant...like for petit fours...may have to dip twice but it sets up even when in contact with greasy surfaces(I don't know of any cake that doesn't contain fat of some sort..angel food maybe...)...then pipe on your details in royal icing.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:01pm
post #232 of 1361

You don't have to use candy melts. You can use other chocolate but may have to thin it---either oil or shortening. Tonight I'm going to try to use chocolate chips thinned & see how that goes. Got a Devils food in the oven & going to add the coconut pecan frosting as a binder.

I'm still wondering if there is a secret to thawing frozen cake balls that have been frozen (already covered in chocolate) or ifI just take the container out & thaw?

all4cake Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:12pm
post #233 of 1361

Sounds like an experiment is in order...if it were me, I'd probably just take them out and thaw(might do it differently if I had a larger fridge...might would then remove to fridge from deep freezer overnight then, move to counter to come to room temp)

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #234 of 1361

omg!

3 pages went by and i didnt get a single notice either!!!

sounds liek theres alot of cake ball making going on!!!!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #235 of 1361

This is a fun thread. I just made my first cake balls last night after reading all of this and they turned out awesome! My husband's office is devouring them as I type. icon_smile.gif I used blackberry flavored cake dipped in dark chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate. They turned out perfectly smooth! I froze the balls a bit first, then used the toothpick method and put them on a cooling rack as suggested in this thread. Wonderful! I used bar chocolate, not chips, and added maybe 1/2 tsp of shortening for 2 cups of melted chocolate. It was a great consistency.

Also, in reference to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

Hello all.

My idea is to make santa's head, but I don't have acces to candy melts, I don't even know if they come in skin color, so I was thinking about dipping in RI. First skin color for the face, then red for the hat, and then pipe on a beard, eyes and so on.

You could use white chocolate that has color added to it. You'd probably need to use powdered color, though, because when I've tried to add gel color, the chocolate will sometimes seize up a bit. You'd be making your own colored candy melts, sorta. But then you'd get good coverage, the good taste and the right texture. I'd think that royal icing would be unpleasant - it would be really crunchy and it tastes like nothing.

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #236 of 1361

dandelion56602...coconut pecan...yum

Freezer question: I'd probably go from the freezer to the fridge and then to room temperature. I'd be worried about condensation on the chocolate. I may stop home and throw a couple in the freeze to test it out at lunch.

Question for anyone... I've had a request for pinneapple upside down cake balls. Never made the real thing or even eaten it before. I was thinking vanilla WASC with pinneapple sleeve filling and putting half a maraschino cherry in the middle and then covering with vanilla candy melts. Think that will taste like it the real thing?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #237 of 1361

I made these for the first time this weekend (well, I made a few one time before with cake scraps, but they were awful, so that didn't count!!). Anyway, I made them with store bought brownie bites (from BJs). The brownies were nice and moist so I did not need to any anything to them; we just crumbled and squashed them together.

The first batch we froze for 15 minutes, then dipped in the candy melts. they were ok, but not completely smooth.

The second batch I froze for 1 hour; they got completely frozen. These look absolutely beautiful after dipping in the candy melts. Super smooth.

Fast forward a few hours. The second batch (frozen solid) was a mess. There was an oily puddle around the bottom of each truffle. The ones that were only in the freezer for 15 minutes were perfectly fine.

Anyone else have this problem.

cupcakeatheart Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #238 of 1361

(pinneapple upside down cake)......or maybe caramel cake, pinneapple filling, cherry inside, vanilla dipped and covered in coconut. So much flavor in such a little bite, but I know it can be done bc we have done it before icon_smile.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #239 of 1361

OHHHHHH !! just made cake balls for the first time with the top of a madera cake which i mixed with peanut butter bc and chocolate orange cake which i mixes with spare choc orange bc - they look fab!! are sitting in the fridge in a bag waiting to b dipped - have another madeira cake tonight so im going to make turkish delight ones and then dip them all at once!!

im converted - they are sooooo quick to make and im going to dip them in chocolate and put a little fondant heart on top - awwwwwww

have to bring in cakes/buns to my office on Friday cause its my birthday and that's the rules!! so have my birthday cake and cake balls for everyone so il be popular!

cupcakeatheart Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #240 of 1361

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%