How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:51pm
post #181 of 1361

oooh, I may try the cookie dough ones. I LOVE cookie dough & have used it in a filling for a cake---all I do is omit eggs from my recipe. I'm wondering if the consistency of the recipe is different than a normal recipe. Is it firmer?

All4cake, I have always loved the white/light blue combo & thought a great time to try it instead of your traditional green/red. I think the colors are more elegant

Barb & pattycakes, there were 61 balls & the cone is 9" high w/ a 12" circumference at the bottom & it decreased 1" every 1" you wnet up on the cone (hope that makes sense). I measured the circumference every 1" up on the cone. I ended up using about 1 ball less than the circumference every layer. So, when the circum. was 12" I used 11 balls, 11" circum I used 10 balls etc. I was going to put a silver gumpaste star on top, but my kids were driving me nuts so it didn't happen. If the lady or anyone else shows interest I'm going to charge $65. That would be $1/per ball & the cone was $2 + tx & the parchment & chocolate to cover the cone & toothpicks used. Do you guys think that would be enough?

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm
post #182 of 1361

I bought 3 cones of various heights this weekend each with a 3 1/2 btm diameter...is this too small??? It was the only size they had.

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #183 of 1361

I made my first batch of cake balls last night and brought them in to work. They were a huge hit and gone in minutes. I did chocolate cake, nutella and dark chocolate (some with mint flavouring). I am hooked can't wait to try more flavours. This site is the best.

A few questions.
For a BC box cake I added about 1/2 cup of Nutella. Mine were very fudgy. I read that you need enough to get the balls to hold together but my cake was moist enough to do that on its own. I even left the crumbs out on the counter for several hours to dry them out a bit.

Also, how do I get my chocolate for dipping to be very thin. I used chocolate chips and melted them in the microwave. Though the chocolate seemed smooth it went on thick, wouldn't drip off and I had to scrape it off with a spatula. They certainly were not smooth looking.

What is chocolate bark? I have seen it referenced on this thread.

Thanks so much.

sweettooth88 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:28pm
post #184 of 1361

Dandelion- i think that price is right on!!! I have been trying to figure out how much i am going to charge for my 3 tree centerpeice...YIKES!!

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #185 of 1361

kirigami: you can try chocolate almond bark. I used that last night and mine turned out really smooth (for the most part unless the ball broke in the chocolate :/). I found it at walmart next to all of the rest of the baking chocolate.

P.S. It tastes great too icon_smile.gif HTH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #186 of 1361

one site offers 100 to a tower for 300.00...

dandelion56602 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #187 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

one site offers 100 to a tower for 300.00...

Do you have that site? I would like to have a reference when quoting to people who's eyes would bug out. I may charge more b/c they do require more time & definitely will if I provide a base

sweettooth88, what is a btm diameter? I wish I could have found different sizes, but I only had time for walmart not Hobby Lobby. But I'm going to ck so I can see if I can offer different sizes.

I get my candy melts next to the chocolate chips at Walmart. You can add shortening to chocolate if it's too thick & it will thin it. Be careful b/c if it's too thin it'll pool at the bottom. I had luck this time melting like Bakerella did (used white almond bark) and not thining it. I still have to work on my technique, but I'm determined to get it.

I did spice cake & added 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice to the batter & added canned cream cheese frosting. The frosting didn't affect the taste, just tasted like spice cake, but that's ok w/ me. I dipped in white & will drizzle w/ brown orange & yellow next week.

When you guys freeze them how do you thaw them? Do you just take them out of the container & let them come to room temp?

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #188 of 1361

So I made Macsmom's Chocolate covered cherry, Andes Dream and eggnog cake balls this weekend........amazing icon_lol.gif trios for Holiday gifts. I'm thinking about adding a pumpkin spice ball too.

I tried all sorts of dipping trials and the one that worked best for me (with minimal pooling) was dipping with the ball on the fork, letting it drip and then slidding it off with a toothpick. But I haven't tried rolling them, was worried it would look smooth.

When you all are adding shortening to the chocolate, how much are you added? I also tried this, but it didn't worked like I'd hoped.

sweettooth88 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #189 of 1361

sorry Dandelion i meant the bottom diameter, the length of the bottom of the cone. I cant wait to try spice cake!!!

all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #190 of 1361

Scroll down to near the bottom, in the right side column of items...

http://www.carriescakes.com/cakes.php?style=9

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #191 of 1361

Dandelion - I think that price is right on too. Maybe a topper would just finish it off.

I haven't seen cone base diameters more than 4" or so. Where would we get those 12" ones?

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #192 of 1361

Hey everyone....loving this thread!! Question...has anyone used the coating bark (chocolate and white chocolate) from Walmart?? I wanted to know if that would be good to try with these cake balls.

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:27am
post #193 of 1361

sorry guys .... a 12" circumference is about 3.5".

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #194 of 1361

Cake Diva- I made the cookie dough truffle too!!! They were a hit with the family. I thought that they were a little too sweet...I think next time I will dip them in Dark chocolate. I also made the oreo truffles with mint oreos...those were awesome!!

I love this thread!! It came at the right time ...I am in the process of having my house inspected so I can start a cake ball business.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #195 of 1361

Normita, I use the White Almond Bark from Walmart mostly for all my white b/c it's a truer white than candy melts. It works fine.

Cupcakeatheart, I don't add too much shortening. Maybe 1-1 1/2 tsp for about 10-12 oz. If you use the candy melts or the almond bark you shouldn't have to use shortening. I've never used chips but may play around with it to see how it goes.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #196 of 1361
Quote:

Scroll down to near the bottom, in the right side column of items...

http://www.carriescakes.com/cakes.php?style=9

That is a gorgeous Croquembouche~! It is not a cake truffle, but an accomplishment to behold... They are a puffed pastry, filled with a pastry cream, and decorated with spun sugar... a masterpiece deserving of the price.... they can also be adorned with chocolate.. a delicacy to be sure... icon_biggrin.gif
pattycakes55d... I have gotten 12" tall cones at Hobby Lobby; don't know if you have them in your area...

CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #197 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeatheart

So I made Macsmom's Chocolate covered cherry, Andes Dream and eggnog cake balls this weekend........amazing icon_lol.gif trios for Holiday gifts. I'm thinking about adding a pumpkin spice ball too.

Oh yum, those flavors sound good.. Especially the choc covered cherry..

all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:17am
post #198 of 1361

no no...scroll up a bit...it's called a truffle tower...and when you click onit to open the image larger, it states cake(as opposed to candy truffles)...4th image above the croquembouche

all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:18am
post #199 of 1361
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:30am
post #200 of 1361
Quote:

no no...scroll up a bit...it's called a truffle tower...and when you click onit to open the image larger, it states cake(as opposed to candy truffles)...4th image above the croquembouche

Ahhhhh, there it is.. icon_lol.gif So, she charges $3 a piece.. s w e e t icon_biggrin.gif They are pretty too...

Lauren251 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:10am
post #201 of 1361

Normita I use the Walmart coating bark too. It works really well. In fact I just used them on my cake balls that I made into turkeys icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:20am
post #202 of 1361

Lauren251, those are CUTE!

Lauren251 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:34am
post #203 of 1361

Thanks all4cake icon_smile.gif They were a lot of fun

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:29pm
post #204 of 1361
Quote:

That tree says that it serves 100. How many cake balls do you think one serving is???

all4cake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:10pm
post #205 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ1031

Quote:

That tree says that it serves 100. How many cake balls do you think one serving is???

I counted approximately 65 around the front and the sides...I'd say 100-110(at most on that tree).

CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #206 of 1361

Lauren, those turkeys are adorable~! icon_biggrin.gif

Kerrym Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #207 of 1361

Cute turkeys!!

Kerrym Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #208 of 1361

Just a quick question...for those of you not using cake scraps for cake balls. Do you use boxed mix like DH ? I am reading all of the yummy cake flavors that I know I have not seen in boxed mixes...just curious.....I'm new .

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #209 of 1361

Ok so I made cake ball reindeers on lollipop sticks like I saw on Bakerella. Chocolate cake with nutella and dark chocolate coating(chipits). The problem was all the balls fell off the sticks while the kids were eating them. Resulting in more than a few tears. I want to be able to sell these for Christmas but I need them to be a lot more stable.
Does anybody have any suggestions for me?
Thanks

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #210 of 1361

Geez oh pete -- five pages went by with NO NOTIFICATIONS!! icon_cry.gif Is anyone else having this problem??????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%