Can Someone Help Me With A Couple Of Questions Please!

Lounge By Study2bake Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm by prterrell

Study2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Study2bake Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 3

What do you like about your job?
And what do you hate about your job?
Were there any sacrifices you had to make?
What made you start copying the pictures in the magazines?
Have you entered in any competitions?
Do you have any advice for me as an aspiring cake decorator?
(Anyone can help)
If you can help, i'm a college student training to be a cake decorator/pastry chef and i need some questions answered for me and one of my classes. please and thank you!
Sarah icon_rolleyes.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 3

........What do you like about your job?.........
Answer: right now I don't have a job. I have had 2 bakeries in the past.

......And what do you hate about your job?........
Answer: When I had the bakery I hated the bookkeeping and dealing with people who didn't like what I made for them.

........Were there any sacrifices you had to make?........
Answer: Time with family.

.....What made you start copying the pictures in the magazines?.......
Answer: Customer request.

....Have you entered in any competitions?.......
Answer: Yes, many.

.........Do you have any advice for me as an aspiring cake decorator?........
Practice, practice, practice. Take as many classes as you can- not only in decorating but also in running a business - bookkeeping etc. You can't learn too much!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 3

What do you like about your job?
Right now I do not have a job in the food industry, although I do occasionally sell cakes to friends and relatives. I did work in a grocery store bakery as a cake decorator for about 2 years.

What I liked about working as a cake decorator was getting to create things every day. I am happiest when I am creating something and food is one of my favorite mediums.

And what do you hate about your job?
I hated the limits on my creativity (kit cakes, not being able to create new designs/product).
The first 2 managers I worked under were okay, but my 3rd manager was an incompetent jerk (a major reason why I left).
Then there was the "inner office drama", which you can run into in any place of employment, but which I always hate.

Were there any sacrifices you had to make?
Whilst working there I was unable to attend church regularly and had to drop out of the church choir. I have since decided that no job is worth this sacrifice.

What made you start copying the pictures in the magazines?
I don't. I like to come up with my own designs. If there is a pic of a cake I like I might take inspiration to try out ONE element of the design, but I always do my own take on it. I never try to replicate someone else's design. Part of this is because I hated having to replicate designs all the time when I was at the grocery store bakery.

Have you entered in any competitions?
No.

Do you have any advice for me as an aspiring cake decorator?
(Anyone can help)
Practice practice practice.
If you're having trouble figuring out something, find someone who can show you in person.
And don't eat the cake scraps/frosting. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%