Here's Another One For Ya....

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm by all4cake

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 17

I forgot to tell my Cake Central gang about this yesterday!

I got a phone call a couple of days ago from a woman who had gotten my contact info. online. I answered the phone and this is how it went:

Caller: Hi, is this a cake shop?
Me: Yes, we do cakes...how can I help you?
Caller: Yeah- I'm making a cake right now and I'm having some trouble with chocolate modeling. How do you color it?
Me: Whaaaaaaaat........?
Caller: Yeah I don't know how to color the chocolate.
Me: Well, your best bet is to research online and I'm sure you can find something.
Caller: I have, but I can't find it!
Me: OK, I can direct you to a website where they have great ideas.....

dial tone......

I was going to tell her to come on here for help, but oh well!

Since when did I become the 411 of cakes?! icon_confused.gif

16 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 17

how funny!! I have to admit, never had one of those calls YET!

Babarooskie Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 17

I was a little stunned.. here I thought that she was going to place an order icon_lol.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 17

How rude!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 17

LOL! That is TO funny!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 17

She might have thought you were a cake decorating supply shop...when you google "cake decorating supply shop" you get a bunch of bakery listings and only a few shops. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask a supply shop how to color modeling chocolate, they'd tell you what they sold that could do the job icon_biggrin.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 17

jajajaja this is so funny...icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 17

Now, that is hilaaaaaaaaaaarious!

Babarooskie Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

She might have thought you were a cake decorating supply shop...when you google "cake decorating supply shop" you get a bunch of bakery listings and only a few shops. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask a supply shop how to color modeling chocolate, they'd tell you what they sold that could do the job icon_biggrin.gif

I see what you're saying, but I put a description of my company online so people will know what it is I do icon_smile.gif

Anyway, thought it was funny...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 17

That is too funny!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 17

thats pretty funny, BUT hey, that could be a new business
Emergency Cake help 411!! a per minute charge phone call to get help with a cake problem!!! They're out there!!! and they need us now!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 17

This kind of thing happens to me all the time. The ones that crack me up are the brides who call the shop at 10 pm on a Friday night and are crying because they are trying to reproduce one of the cakes on my web site, and they've never baked or decorated a cake in their lives. They all expect me to guide them through it, step by step.

haha.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

This kind of thing happens to me all the time. The ones that crack me up are the brides who call the shop at 10 pm on a Friday night and are crying because they are trying to reproduce one of the cakes on my web site, and they've never baked or decorated a cake in their lives. They all expect me to guide them through it, step by step.

haha.

Oh man, I would love to get a crazy a$$ call like that! Everybody is too normal around my parts. I have to live vicariously through everyone's stories on here. It's not fair!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

thats pretty funny, BUT hey, that could be a new business
Emergency Cake help 411!! a per minute charge phone call to get help with a cake problem!!! They're out there!!! and they need us now!

I like that idea!!! icon_lol.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 17

Or the gal who had a hissy fit and was rude to me because I told her the christening cake she wanted would have cost $175. She bought a bunch of fondant and coloring and stuff to make it herself (about $80 worth of supplies). She admitted she'd never made a cake before.

On her way out she said she'd 'show me up', by making a cake as nice or better than mine. I told her to please send me a picture.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 17

When I had my shop a couple of times ladies would come in and ask either for my recipes or how to fix a recipe. Then others would come in asking for instructions for decorating cakes.

The thing I hated the most were people who came in to tell me how to improve my business. One lady talked for more than 30 minutes about how I should do specialty chocolates and how they should look. This when I taught my kids how to rescue me by asking for help with homework or something needed my attention in the kitchen. icon_smile.gif

Michele

all4cake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

...The thing I hated the most were people who came in to tell me how to improve my business. One lady talked for more than 30 minutes about how I should do specialty chocolates and how they should look. This when I taught my kids how to rescue me by asking for help with homework or something needed my attention in the kitchen. icon_smile.gif

Michele

icon_mad.gif In a Biiiiiiiig way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%