How Do I Make A Cake "dummy"?

Decorating By geekswife Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm by Rylan

geekswife Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 11

I have a friend that wants a 5 tier cake but only needs 4 tiers. Does anyone know how to make a dummy that will stand up to the weight

THANKS

10 replies
leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 11

Sure. Buy a cake dummy and then decorate it like the cake. I'd put the dummy on the bottom. You can get dummies here - www. dallas foam online .com

madgeowens Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 11

unless you don't need all that much cake, then maybe you want to use a dummy on the bottom, and you just put supports in that dummy as you would if it were cake, and thats your support hth

prterrell Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 11

You don't actually have to put supports in the styro cake dummy. It is strong enough to support the upper layers w/o doweling. The doweling may actually affect the structural integrity of the styro.

geekswife Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Sure. Buy a cake dummy and then decorate it like the cake. I'd put the dummy on the bottom. You can get dummies here - www. online .com

I was hoping someone had and idea for making a dummy instead of
buying one

amysue99 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 11

To be honest, it will probably cost as much to make one as it is to buy one. They're really pretty cheap. If there's a ckae supply store in your area they probably carry them. If not, ask at a bakery - they may be willing to sell one to you.

Jeniwin Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 11

I think globalsugarart.com has them pretty darn cheap, I get mine from there every time I place another supply order.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 11

A caker in another city near me makes hers out of pink insulation board. She uses a hotknife and a hand saw. IMO it's too much work, but she gets several dummies out of one sheet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Becky52 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 11

I've never decorated a cake dummy and would like to try. Do you cover it with something first so you can re-use it? Or do you only use them once? Also, do you normally just do fondant? or buttercream too?

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 11

Some folks cover them with plastic wrap so they can be re-used. I don't know how they keep the wrinkles from showing through. Maybe someone will share their secret with us today.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%