How Do I Make A Cake "dummy"?

Decorating By geekswife Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm by Rylan

geekswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekswife Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 11

I have a friend that wants a 5 tier cake but only needs 4 tiers. Does anyone know how to make a dummy that will stand up to the weight

THANKS

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 11

Sure. Buy a cake dummy and then decorate it like the cake. I'd put the dummy on the bottom. You can get dummies here - www. dallas foam online .com

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 11

unless you don't need all that much cake, then maybe you want to use a dummy on the bottom, and you just put supports in that dummy as you would if it were cake, and thats your support hth

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 11

You don't actually have to put supports in the styro cake dummy. It is strong enough to support the upper layers w/o doweling. The doweling may actually affect the structural integrity of the styro.

geekswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekswife Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Sure. Buy a cake dummy and then decorate it like the cake. I'd put the dummy on the bottom. You can get dummies here - www. online .com

I was hoping someone had and idea for making a dummy instead of
buying one

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 11

To be honest, it will probably cost as much to make one as it is to buy one. They're really pretty cheap. If there's a ckae supply store in your area they probably carry them. If not, ask at a bakery - they may be willing to sell one to you.

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 11

I think globalsugarart.com has them pretty darn cheap, I get mine from there every time I place another supply order.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 11

A caker in another city near me makes hers out of pink insulation board. She uses a hotknife and a hand saw. IMO it's too much work, but she gets several dummies out of one sheet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 11

I've never decorated a cake dummy and would like to try. Do you cover it with something first so you can re-use it? Or do you only use them once? Also, do you normally just do fondant? or buttercream too?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 11

Some folks cover them with plastic wrap so they can be re-used. I don't know how they keep the wrinkles from showing through. Maybe someone will share their secret with us today.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%