Saving Fondant And Frosting

Decorating By arrianna Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 11:57am by majka_ze

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

How long can you save BC fondant and BC frosting? Is it better to freeze or refridgerate?

4 replies
mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 5

Hi.
I think it depends on what ingredients that are in your icing first. I use Sugarshack's buttercream icing and just like Sharon, I freeze my buttercream when I have extra. I use MMF and I store it in ziploc freezer bags in a rubbermaid container. I have not tried freezing it. I am a little afraid of the moisture it would have as it was thawing out.

HTH

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 5

I keep my fondant wrapped really good and in ziplocs, in the fridge. I have some that is a few months old, and is still good. I have BC that has been in there for 2 months. It all depends on if it is made w/ real butter. That can go rancid. I just ALWAYS taste everything before I use it. I would also like to know on the freezing bit.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:49am
post #4 of 5

I freeze fondant all the time. I knead the leftovers smooth, lightly grease with a little crisco, wrap tightly in two layers of plastic wrap, then a layer of heavy-duty foil, then put in a labeled zip-lock bag.

I weigh each chunk, trying for approximately one pound blocks. I put the type, color, weight and date on the bag, the type being MFF plain, MFF with white chocolate, Satin Ice, Wiltons, whatever. BTW, I only use Wiltons for covering cake boards, and I only use Satin Ice for black and red.

To thaw, I just let the block of fondant come to room temperature. Just takes two or three hours. When ready to use, I just knead it back to a pliable state.

It saves a ton of time and money to freeze these small blocks. They come in so handy for decorations.

I haven't frozen BC yet, but will try it later this week.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:57am
post #5 of 5

Usually you can freeze buttercream. I have one recipe (stretched with cooked cornflour) which doesn't work - I can use it as filling, but not for piping. But for this one recipe where freezing doesn't work completely OK, I have several others where it works beautifully.

I would say - next time you have some buttercream left over, simply freeze it. Bake some cupcakes or small cake for your family and defrost this buttercream (take it in the morning out, leave it on the counter and at the afternoon you can work with it).

For freezing - try to freeze separated in amounts you will use - you shouldn't freeze it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%