Help W/ Balls On Wires Topper!

Decorating By grandmom Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 11:47am by cookiemama2

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make balls on wires for a topper. I have added Tylose to my fondant, and rolled lots of balls, about 1/2 inch in diameter. They are drying - just got them rolled about an hour ago. I have several questions:

1. What gauge floral wire works well? I want to put more than one ball on each wire, and the wire will curve out and away from the cake; not real long, but not real short either. I have 26 and 22 gauge on hand. The 26 is definitely too flimsy. I don't know about the 22 yet. Would 18 work better?

2. How does one get the kinks out of the wire for a nice smooth curve?

3. At what point does one put the balls on the wire? While the balls are still soft? Dry? Half-way dry?

4. How does one keep the balls from sliding out of place once they're put on the wires?

Thanks for any help! I ask instead of experimenting due to lack of time.

7 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 8

The size of the balls will make a difference. There was a web-site that told this (gave a how-to). Let me see if I can find it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

I'm sorry I couldn't find it. I do remember it said that you bend the end of the wire and make a hook. This helps keep the ball from sliding on the wire. I'm thinking that it also said to use wire that was consistent to the size of the balls you were making so it would be strong enough to support the balls. I don't think they used fondant though, I think they used gumpaste...while it was still soft it was put on the wire and then allowed to dry for a couple of days...suspended from styrofoam block. Also, I believe that it said not to place wires directly into cake. Put a coffee straw in the cake and then stick the wire down in it. Sorry I can't be of more help. I've never done it, but was interested in trying it. I hope this helps. Maybe I'll come across it again.

grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8

Thank you, cabecakes, for your help. That all makes sense.

I still wonder how another CCer got four balls on a wire, with space between each!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:29am
post #5 of 8

I know you can heat up the wire to stick on the cone to make roses...and don't have to wait for the cone/wire to dry for a day to finish making the rose..

Some people just use a bbq starter..others use their propane stove elements - just DON'T breathe in the fumes!!

I'm not sure if it would work the same for what you want...but I don't see why not..

And remember, kids, don't try this at home!! LOL! Good luck!

icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:37am
post #6 of 8

CBMom,

I don't fully understand. Are you saying you think heating the wire will help the balls stick in place?

Thanks!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:08am
post #7 of 8

when i stick any think made from gumpaste on wires for a topper i use 22gauge wire. I make a little hook in the end of the wire then heat the wire in the flame of a candle for a few seconds then stick it into what ever decoration it is going into. leave it to cool and the gumpaste decor should be secured. (not sure about more than one on a wire though). to get a nice neat curve in the wire i wrap it around a tumbler or can and sculpt the curve. and never stick the wires into the cake as bits will flack off and contaminate the cake always use a posy pick or a drinking straw. HTH

OOh and you should be ok with fondant with tylose as it will set hard too.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:47am
post #8 of 8

I tried doing this a few time, never with any luck though!
I have put them on while still soft and more than one ball but they just seem to tear or sag. I've laid them down to dry but by then the hole seems to stretch too much for a perfect fit.
The last time I made them I let them dry with a premade hole then threaded them through the wire and used a bit of glue to hold them in place.
They are no longer edible but who would want to eat them anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%