Fondant And Royal Icing

Decorating By Terri5 Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm by Cakepro

Terri5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri5 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 11

can fondant and royal icing be kept in the fridge without going bad and if not then how long is it good for if your making a cake that takes more than i day to make. How long can it sit on the counter for?
Thank you, Terri5 icon_confused.gif

10 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 11

Im not sure about royal icing, but i wouldnt suggest putting fondant in the fridge, it will sweat and go sticky and tacky. Your best off wrapping it in saran/cling flim and keeping it in an airtight container just on the bench, it will keep for weeks and weeks. I buy my fondant, so i only open it when im ready to decorate, But, like i said, it Will keep for weeks and weeks, just make sure its covered tighly with saran, and in an airtight container so it doesnt dry out

Terri5 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 11

will the cake stay fresh and moist once it's wrapped in fondant for a few days on the counter?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 11

it'll be fine on the counter........don't put the royal in the fridge definitely and fondant in the fridge really depends, I've had decent success with it...but why risk it if you don't have a perishable filling in the cake. If the cake is uncut it will stay fresh covered in fondant in a bakery box at room temp.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 11

sorry, meant to say it will stay fresh for up to 5 days if it's not cut and is in a bakery box at room temp. I find that putting it in the fridge tends to actually dry the cakes out!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 11

I keep fondant well wrapped in plastic wrap then a ziploc bag and leave it in the caninet or on the counter and it is always fine.

Royal icing is fine left out at room temp in an air tight container. Just make sure to stir it really well before using.

I covered my dds cake in fondant on thurs. for sat. and it was fine.

Sugar is a preservative. As long as the cake is fully covered to keep out the air it should be fine. HTH!

Terri5 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all very much i'm still new at this. I was finding it quite stressful then i realized i could buy a dummy cake to practice on. The problem is i want everything to be perfect. I spend more time throwing out flowers when their not to my liking. Sure hope i start liking my cakes soon. LOL
If you want to see the cake i posted it's in the Bridal Shower category, it has yellow and red sunflowers, roses, mums and green leaves around the bottom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tiffany29 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 11

You will start liking your cakes.

Your cake is very pretty you should be proud of it! icon_smile.gif

Terri5 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:31am
post #9 of 11

how do you attach fondant flowers and marzipan flowers to a fondant covered cake?

Tiffany29 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 11

Either melted chocolate or royal icing. I use royal icing.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, you certainly can store royal icing in airtight bowls in the refrigerator. I keep about a half-pound batch on hand at all times, and it keeps for months. You shouldn't put royal icing decorations in the fridge, but storing the icing itself in a bowl in the fridge will extend its shelf life ten times over than storing it in a bowl at room temperature.

Fondant can also be stored in the fridge if you really want to, but it's not necessary. Keep it wrapped well to protect it from drying out. You can put fondant-covered cakes in the fridge as well. I do it with about 95% of my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%