Not Sure How To Do These

Decorating By LKing12 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm by catlharper

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 16

ruffles. I would love to do this cake for my brother's 25th Wedding Anniversary in January this picture...Not from this site. I am sure it is fondant, but I don't know how to get it to stay ruffled, or how it was placed between the tiers. Any help would be appreciated.
LL

15 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:53am
post #2 of 16

There was a pic posted on cake boss site you could leave a message for the person to help....its fan photo's not the bakery...on facebook

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 16

looks like a fondant gumpaste mix, maybe all gumpaste. cut your rounds out 6 - 8 inches bigger than the tier. Layer 3 of these discs together. Set a pan in the middle of the circle where the cake would be to keep it flat and level, perhaps even cut this part out to make a collar. Take small pieces of tissue paper or light foam and ruffle the edges. Let dry for a few days until dry. That is my plan for the cake I am making in December. I will work on it next week to sample test a cake. Mine is going to be white with pearl luster and the edges of the ruffles will have a lace cut out and highlighted in gold. The topper will be gold snowflakes and a "50". I will let you know if it works for me. HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 16

I believe that is Marina Sousa's cake. I have done a similar effect on one of my cakes. It's best to use gumpaste or 50/50. There is basically two ways to do it. You can cut strips of fondant, layer it with cotton or whatever in between to help keep the ruffles stay until hard. The other way is to cut large circles and then layer it with something in between to keep the ruffles stay.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 16

Someone not too long ago had some great directions on how to make this after Marina Sousa sent them to her. I'll see if I can find those for you!

I completely love this cake!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 16

That cake is fantastic!! Officer Morgan can't wait for you to find the instructions. Can you pm them to me or will you post them if you find them?

Rylan, how do you fasten the ruffles to the cake if you cut into strips of fondant? If you cut circles and then put something in between the circles to keep them "ruffled" do you put all three circles together when dry and then plop your cake tier on top and then do the next set of ruffles and add the next tier?

Must use a heck of a lot of gumpaste!!!

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 16

I love this cake--I would love the instructions too if you can find them icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!!!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 16

brea1026 here on CC did a cake with ruffles like that on a tutu. It was so GORGEOUS. It was her entry for the 2009 Arizona Cake and Sugar Art Show, and she won 1st place in the advanced division AND Best in Show. I think I saw something about a tutorial for her ruffles, but I can't find it. Maybe if you PM her, she can help you.

Here's the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313492

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 16

SugarFrosted I just wanna say I LOVE your avatar. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 16

There's a video on satin ice by Colette Peters that will give you an idea. It isn't done exactly like the ruffles in your pic, but to me a video is helpful. Also Wilton had this technique in their book a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/how.htm

OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 16

Here's the quote from MarinaSousa:

"I just heard back from Marina Sousa. The cake is covered in blue fondant, the ruffles are the same color fondant. Ruffles are just rectangular sections ruffled by hand and attached with sugar glue to the cake, wads of cotton balls are placed under the ruffles to hold them in place until the glue has dried. The sugar glue is just equal parts of granulated sugar and water, boiled and then cooled. She says to use generous amounts of powdered sugar on the ruffles so the cotton balls don't stick to the fondant. After they are dry you remove the cotton balls very carefully. Use a soft bristled brush to brush away the excess powdered sugar from the ruffles. Then mix a combination of blue petal dust ( as close as possible to the same shade as fondant or a bit darker)and super pearl luster dust, thin with vodka or Everclear and spray onto cake and ruffles with an airbrush."

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you! That's great
icon_biggrin.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone. If I get to do this cake, I'll post the results.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 16

thanx for posting this..I gotta give this one a try!<G>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%