Planning Chrismas Cookies Already..

Baking By Jeannem Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm by icalise

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make 300 cookies for a local business. They're wanting "a couple of snowflake designs--some decorated in red and some in blue" to match their logo. Yup, it's dark blue, so I'm afraid it'll look more patriotic than Christmas..anyone have an idea or better yet a picture on how to do this?? I tried to talk her into just white cookies with a tag with the logo, but she wants color..

13 replies
cakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 14

Ice all the cookies in white and use red and blue sanding sugar on top. If you choose not to use sanding sugar, you could flat ice them in a lighter blue and red and then use a darker color of red and blue for the details.

RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 14

You could do a trial run and show the customer how the cookies would look if you did them the way they asked. Then, if they wanted to make changes, they could. I'm with you, though, blue just doesn't say Christmas to me.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 14

Red and green = Christmas
Blue = Hanukkah

Maybe they are covering a few holidays with one tray of cookies. Though just using blue and white on snowflake cookies would just mean 'winter.' icon_smile.gif I like the idea of a trial run so they can see what they will be getting. Do a few shades of blue to show how nice a tray with maybe three shades of blue would look. If she insists on blue and red, maybe you can get her to add some green so it won't look so patriotic.....or add edible image cookies to the mix so that the red and blue makes more sense.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 14

A cutout snowflake shape?

Here's a possible solution; a simple round ornament iced in red or blue. When icing is dry add either a large white icing snowflake sugared to sparkle, or several small snowflakes. That way they have the color they want and the snowflakes. And you don't have to shudder while making them.

I have seen both navy blue and red Christmas trees though.

Jeannem Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks ladies--at least I'm not crazy thinking they'll look funny. I like the idea a lot about doing some trial cookies for her to see--that always seems to bring the cutomer to their senses!! I think I'm going to just make them with either red OR blue on the cookie--not both colors.
Thanks for all your help--you're the best!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 14

one question - who will pay or the trial cookies?
im thinkings a snowlake cookie shape, covered in red/ blue, with the white, fine line, snowflake on top.
but i like the bauble idea too, and if they would think about different shapes, red/ blue with a fluffy white definatly says xmas stocking!
xx

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 14

If I was trying to get a biz to order 300 cookies, I would definitely make them a few samples. At the very least this would be a $300 order. Make a half batch of dough, make their samples and then keep the rest in the freezer for practicing new designs.

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #10 of 14

Jeannem:

Do you freeze them? How much in advance can you make cookies and how do you store them? Frezzer, refrigerator, covered?

Jeannem Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry so long to answer..things have been rocking and rolling!!
7yyrt-how did you find all those pictures?? Awesome ideas and a wide range of sources. Thank you Thank you!!
icalise--yes I freeze them and have not yet had a problem with condensation. I do wrap everything individually. I've already done 300 Xmas cookies that are due Dec 3-only 600 more to go before Thanksgiving!!
Thanks ladies for your help!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 14

I'm a Google Sherpa, usually pretty good about finding images. Glad they helped you visualize.
600 more! ouch, my hand hurts just thinking about it.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 14

I think I like the ornament w/snowflake design idea. I think they would look good with white or silver on the blue and red.

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 14

thanks!

Just plastic wrap?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%