Hollow Fondant House

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm by dchockeyguy

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:54am
post #1 of 8

Hi. Can anyone please advise if its possible to make a hollow house out of fondant? The idea is to have a 3 tier cake either topsy/spiral (undecided!) and then a small 10 x 10 cm house c/w roof at the top. Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:35am
post #2 of 8

not easy to do in fondant, in gumpaste, definately. fondant doesnt dry as hard as fast as gumpaste, and it also isnt as strong.
xx

Meg147 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:16am
post #3 of 8

Thanks - any advice on how best to use it? ie do I just roll/make it & stand it up, or do I need to add anything to it or if so, how long do I wait before it goes hard? icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:38am
post #4 of 8

just roll your gumpaste, and cut the shapes that you need. leave them to dry. then stick them together, id use edible glue, or royal icing. and i would support it while it dried.
maybe join two walls at a time, let dry, then join to the other set. then add the roof.
as for how long for it to dry hard, it depeneds. gumpaste dries very quickly (have you used it before? you will need to work very fast! maybe just roll one wall at a time). things like heat and humidity, and which brand/ recipe you use will make a differerence. the size and thickness of the panels would affect it too. but as gumpaste will last forever, i would start now, that way its not so much of a problem!
xx

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:31am
post #5 of 8

If making things like that i like to use an inside support, perhaps a cardboard box, I prefer to attach the gumpaste to the box, rather than have it standing on its own, much safer icon_smile.gif

Meg147 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 8

Very helpful - thank you both for your replies. xx

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 8

What about making the house out of cookies?? Like a gingerbread house?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 8

I would suggest that pastiage might be better for this than gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%