Is There A Place To Order Custom Sugar Flowers??

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm by Jeff_Arnett

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 18

The bride wants a swag of sugar flowers (to match the bouquets). I am not confident in my sugar flower making abilities yet so I explained to her that I would have to order these and wasn't sure if it would be possible. She wants this look and told me to do it even if I can't order them! Ughh! I MUST find someone who can do these. I have a pic of the flowers she is using and just need to find someone who will make them. Mostly it's burnt orange calilly's and leaves and fall stuff/colors.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

17 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 18

Can you post a picture?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKESHERWAY

The bride wants a swag of sugar flowers (to match the bouquets). I am not confident in my sugar flower making abilities yet so I explained to her that I would have to order these and wasn't sure if it would be possible. She wants this look and told me to do it even if I can't order them! Ughh! I MUST find someone who can do these. I have a pic of the flowers she is using and just need to find someone who will make them. Mostly it's burnt orange calilly's and leaves and fall stuff/colors.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

A friend of mine does custom orders.....her site is www.theediblekind.com.

I sometime have her make filler flowers when I have a rush order. She also did flowers for me a while back when I had had to have hand surgery and couldn't get all them made.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 18

I get my sugar flowers in white then airbrush them. Is this an option for you?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 18

There is also www.wholesalesugarflowers.com

CAKESHERWAY Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 18

So here is a scanned pic of the flowers. Hope you can see what I am talking about. Like I said, I will have to swag them from the top around the front to the bottom. I am very inexperienced with the floral swag thing so I am scared to death! icon_smile.gif
LL

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 18

Have you looked on Youtube at edna's tutorial? She is fantastic, shows you step by step how to make calla lillies. I made my first wedding cake this past weekend and made the flowers by watching her video.

nonnyscakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim1106

Have you looked on Youtube at edna's tutorial? She is fantastic, shows you step by step how to make calla lillies. I made my first wedding cake this past weekend and made the flowers by watching her video.

Yes, Edna's tutorial makes everything look so easy. She is great.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 18

I do not have an airbrush yet but am getting it by Christmas. That's not an option. I am sure I could MAYBE make the flowers and leaves but I don't know how lifelike they will be, and have NO idea how to arrange them and make them look like they are a full swag. Also, the wiring and attaching them to the cake is freaking me out! HELP

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 18

is she against silks on the cake?? I mean people don't generally eat the sugar flowers anyhow

nonnyscakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKESHERWAY

I do not have an airbrush yet but am getting it by Christmas. That's not an option. I am sure I could MAYBE make the flowers and leaves but I don't know how lifelike they will be, and have NO idea how to arrange them and make them look like they are a full swag. Also, the wiring and attaching them to the cake is freaking me out! HELP

Could you get the florist to design a swag to put on the cake? It would then be an exact match to the bouquets.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 18

I already tried to convince her to use fresh or at least silk, she wants sugar. Difficult

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 18

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to make flowers look real. Calla lillies are the easiest to make too. As far as designing a swag for a cake, I've seen some books and magazines that show how to do it...actually I found scans of them to download when I was trying to make a topper for a cake.

Cal Java also sells pretty flowers, and you might check if the cake supply stores in your area know anyone local who could make what your bride is wanting, or you might mention what area you're in here and maybe find someone to make it for you that way (and they could tell the bride what they charge for something like that, which might be a good thing for her to hear icon_biggrin.gif )

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #14 of 18

And don't forget, Callas are poinsonous. There's a thread around here that someone so kindly posted the whole list of poisonous flowers.

I'll find it and post the link...

As for the flowers, ... ed'td to add, sorry, I made an oopsie icon_smile.gif

HTH!!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #15 of 18

Thanks to FromScratch!!

African Violet
Amarylis
Anemone
Anthurium
Arum Lilies
Autumn Crocus
Azalea
Bird of Paradise
Bittersweet
Black-eyed Susan
Bleeding Heart
Bluebell
Buttercup
Caladium
Calla Lily
Carnation pink family
Carolina Jasmine
Christmas Rose
Chrysanthemum
Clematis
Crocus
Daffodil
Daphne
Delphinium
Four Oclock
Foxglove
Fuchsia
Gardenia
Gloriosa Lily
Goldenseal
Holly Berry
Honesty
Hoya
Hyacinth
Hydrangea
Hypericum
Iceland Poppy
Iris
Ivy
Jasmine
Jessamine
Jonquil
Laburnum
Lantana
Larkspur
Lily family
Lily of the Valley
Lobelia
Lupins
Marsh Marigold
Mistletoe
Monkshood
Morning Glory
Narcissus
Nightshade
Oak
Ohio Buckeye
Oleander
Oriental Poppy
Periwinkle
Philodendron
Poinsettia
Primula
Privet
Rhododendron
Rock Poppy
Snowdrop
Spring Adonis
Star of Bethlehem
Sunflower
Sweet Pea
Tobacco
Trumpet Vine
Tulip
Virginia Creeper
Water Hemlock
Wild Cherry
Windflower
Wisteria
Wolfsbane
Yellow Allamanda
Yellow Oleander

All of these are considered to be toxic flowers... and there are more. This is my I try to talk everyone into sugar flowers. Not to mention that most flowers you will get from the florist will be treated with pesticides and fertilizers. It's just safer to not chance it.

HTH!!
icon_smile.gif

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 18

I know it might sound strange, but because I don't have an air brush and my dusting skills are limited, I "dip" my gumpaste flowers in a little cup of water thats been coloured with gel food colour... I know it sounds strange, but it really works and you can adjust the colour by dipping again, or adding more gel or less gel.... seriously.. if you can dip and easter egg, you can colour a gumpaste flower... just hang it upside down to dry and try not to touch it as the water will make it a little soft....

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:04pm
post #17 of 18

The orchid in this photo is "dipped"...
LL

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

The orchid in this photo is "dipped"...

I also dip some flowers....but I use air brush color since it won't soften the paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%