Using Ganache

Decorating By SGTSweetsCakery Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm by SGTSweetsCakery

SGTSweetsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SGTSweetsCakery Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning everyone! I have a few questions about perfecting my fondant and cake appearance. I am new at stacking cakes, my first one did not hold up well in the humidity- the buttercream buldged from the layers and came out from underneath the MMF. Besides the humidity my fondant may have been too thick or the buttercream to thick. I was reading a few forums that suggested using ganache, so here are my questions:

1. Can you fill the layers with buttercream then use ganache as a crumb coat? Will it prevent the buttercream from buldging out of the layers? Or can I fill with ganache and cover with buttercream? Or should I just use ganache for both?

2. Can you freeze the layers if they are either coated or filled with ganache ahead of time?

My cake is 3-4 tiers: 14" 12" 10" 8"

Does anyone have a bulk receipe for ganache? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 4

Yes Mandylynn99 you can do it all those diffferent ways. It will work just make sure your buttercreme is not too soft.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 4

I don't think whatever you use for crumb coating will prevent bulging. It's more of how well you prep the cakes. Here's the best pictorial I've seen on bulging, from CakeBoss: http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

SGTSweetsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SGTSweetsCakery Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 4

thank you so much i am going to give it a try today!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%