Please,how Do I Make Saxophone With Fondant

Decorating By solascakes Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm by farmersdaughter4

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all,
I need to do a musical themed cake for a 40yr old man that loves jazz esp. the sax. I'm wondering how to make a small sax on top of the cake using fondant/gumpaste and then paint with gold.Thanks in advance.

9 replies
solascakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

bump

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

well i would of thought just taking a picture and modelling it to the best you can to look like a sax would be the best bet icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 10
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

well i would of thought just taking a picture and modelling it to the best you can to look like a sax would be the best bet icon_smile.gif

I think that's probably as good idea as any. I would hollow out the back (if you aren't really going to see the back) and inside as best as possible to make it lighter as well.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 10

Depending on how small you are making it - maybe look for a chocolate/candy mold of a sax. I love using them for things like this when my sculpting isn't up to creating an intricate piece. A nearby candy supply place has the most amazing assortment of molds with very intricate details..so you never know..

solascakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks a lot everybody, I don't think i'll have time to get a mould as tha cake is due on Tuesday but will try my best.Thanks again.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 10

Instead of using fondant, think about using pastillage....makes for a more sturdy result. My Wilton instructor made a violin (very realistic) and used pastillage.

Do a search on Cake Central and several recipes will show; an easy one is http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14633/easy-pastillage

Use the pictures supplied to you...make a simple template for parts - roll pastillage....place templates down...use sharp knife, etc. to go around edges. Allow parts to dry and then fuse parts together using edible glue (recipe for edible glue also on CC). I'm not for sure you allowed yourself ample time to do this project....if not, why not just make a plaque type of sax and lay it on top of the cake...or prop it up somehow as topper (ie, it would not be dimensional...just a side view of a sax). At least this is how I would attempt to do this. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%