Desperate For Help With Halloween Sugar Cookies On A Stick!!

Baking By cmom Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 1:26am by andpotts

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 12

Help! I thought this would be a no brainer but obviously I was very wrong. I am trying to make Halloween sugar cookie lollipops for a party and I can't seem to get it right!!!

First, is a sugar cookies recipe the right thing to use for this or should I use a shortbread recipe?

Second, the Wilton "cookie sticks" I got seem too fat. When I cook them in the back of the cookie there is a big lump in the cookie. Then I tried cooking the front face down with the stick on top and it just looks like the back of a cookie. Not nice for decorating.

There are such awesome pictures of these cookies on this site, there must be a trick to it.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

11 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 12

Some people bake the cookies without the sticks, then "glue" the sticks on the backs of the cookies with royal icing or melted chocolate. Other people attach the stick to the cellophane bag that the cookie pop goes into.
It's easier to bake without the sticks in the cookies. I'll look for the links about the glue on bag method.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 12
patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 12

I also bake with the sticks in. I dont use wilton sticks I use skewers( like you would use for they seem to work well for me. Here is a lnk to kathy cookie video that explains both methods. http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Videos_ep_73-1.html
HTH

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 12

After a couple years of trial and failure icon_sad.gif I now do it Shiney's way.

Glue/Tape the stick to the back of the bag, bake the cookie as normal and then when you put it in the bag, tie a ribbon around the base of the bag and the stick and it appears as if the cookie is on the stick.

This is way easier to bake, more stable for the cookies and also, when they take a bite, the cookie doesn't splinter into 4 pieces and fall on the ground.

Also, after 2 years of trying to find the perfect recipe I have realized that the NFSC is truly no fail so long as you omit the baking powder. Now the cookies don't spread and even the feathers of the turkey cutter are nice and sharp. HTH

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 12

Exclude the baking powder????? I just make a batch of NFSC dough for the first time. Now I'm nervous to bake them. Does anyone else omit the baking powder?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 12

I know but I tried the NFSC for so long and they are durable but puff up and lose their shape. I even froze the cutouts prior to cooking. Nothing worked.

Then someone here mentioned omitting the BP, so I did. Worked like a charm. Not sure if it's elevation or what but no everyone needs to do this to get good results. If it doesn't work out, maybe try without the BP next time and see.

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 12

I too find that wiltons cookie sticks are too big. I use skewers that you use for kabob. I also bake with the sticks in. I have had no luck when I don't do this. My cookies are thicker when I do bouquet. p

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 12

That is so great! Thank you. I think I may try the skewers,, see how that goes. Cakediva73, I think it was your bouquets that I saw posted that were so cute and detailed! You totally inspired me with your Halloween ones. Mine just aren't working out as well. Today was a total baking struggle!! Even with the kids out of the house! LOL.

One more question (actually I have about 200 but.....) My black Wilton food gel is looking more steel gray when I mix it. What is the deal with that??? I used a ton of it and it tastes like it. Is the americolor (?) better to get?

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 12

aMERICLOR IS BETTER, BUT YOUR BATCH OF WILTON WILL DARKEN UP OVERNIGHT GO AHEAD AND DECORATE WITH IT IT'LL BE FINE.....(oops sorry caps were on)
I use skewers and royal it to the back of the cookie, I use NFSC exclusively and have always added the baking powder never had a problem with puffing, I might try it without just to see, could be a cost saving to leave it out.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Also, after 2 years of trying to find the perfect recipe I have realized that the NFSC is truly no fail so long as you omit the baking powder. Now the cookies don't spread and even the feathers of the turkey cutter are nice and sharp. HTH

I have never tried this recipe, but I'am looking for a recipe that does not spread so much. Thanks for the tip, but how is the flavor?

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I think this is the thread.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6518276-.html#6518276

I hated doing cookie bouquets due to the stress of keeping it all together until Shiney shared her attach the stick to the bag info. Sincer then I have never turned back, works like a charm every single time, no matter what size the cookie! I also skip the hot glue step, but I use a seriously strong clear tape, not regular Scotch tape, it's like packing tape, completely transparent, but on the small, regular size roll. (It's also the only thing that will hold party decorations on our textured wall and not ruin the paint) Works like a charm!

NFSC are delicious and I use them exclusively, I add Creme Bouquet as my flavoring, I alos use Toba's Glace and my corn syurp has vanilla flavoring already in it and the combo is delicious. I don't omit the BP and I don't have any problems with puffing or spreading, altohough as it's been said this could completely depend on location.

The perfect method that works for me and makes my cookie making so easy now:
Make my NFSC dough in the KA

Take a large handfull of dough and roll it out between 2 sheets of parchment paper on my doboard, move to my refrigerator to chill.

Repeat until all dough is rolled out between sheets of parchment, (I'll usually have a stack of about 8 sheets of rolled dough from 1 batch)

By the time I'm done rolling the last sheet the first is ready to come out, perfectly chilled, ready to cut and bake.

Cut and place on parchment covered cookie sheet.

If the cutting takes a little longer I just pop the sheet with cut outs back in the frige until I'm ready to put them in the oven, no spreading, no problem!

Just make sure you rotate your sheets so you are putting your next set on cooled cookie sheets

Good luck, I just love doing cookies now after learning all of this stuff here! Andrea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%