Seriously Undercharged Ugghhhh Wanna Slap Myself!!! Waaa!

Business By three_sets_of_twins Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 3:05am by three_sets_of_twins

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 14

ugghh! Its 4 am and i just finished a bride groom cake ball platter and i started at 7 pm! And it was just 117 balls! So many things went wrong and i also had to draw with a toothpick every single bow tie and button! Then one by one glue the pearl tiaras on the brides! Pearl by pearl! Then the packaging! (pic in gallery) and what friggin gets to me is i would NEVER have charged so little 4 all this friggen work. But it was my first time with this design and i didnt know what i was getting into! I wish i could just call her and say look im charging you double! But i know i cant since the wedding is tomorrow and it would be unethical to raise the price when she picks it up icon_sad.gif.↲ugh dont ya just wanna hold ur work hostage when u do so much and undercharge!! Ugh had to VENT! What gets to me even MORE is yesterday i quoted the same price to another bride (rich cheap one i posted about earlier, we're still on btw , never updated cos of pc trouble). Now how do i tactfully call cheapo and tell her price is going up? Or do i have to stick with the price i origionally gave her? Her weddings on the 23rd and she has tons of other options if she decides to go another way. Thanks for listening.

13 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #2 of 14

I hear ya, sister! Been there, done that (last weekend, as a matter of fact). I so feel your pain.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 14

If you don't have a signed contract for the new order, I would just call and tell her your over booked and can't do it. The cake balls are amazing. I can't imagine how long the tuxes took. Now that you've done them what do you think would be a fair price for them? Just curiousicon_smile.gif I can't imagine I'd be up for that challenge.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 14

I would think if you didnt have a contract then you can just tell her you misquoted or that its a new design and you didnt factor in all the ingreds or something like that.
edited to say for the new order not the one for this week!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 14

Your cake balls look fantastic! I would leave the price you quoted. The bride might get angry. But i would definaltely charge more for any other future order! BTW what type of chocolate do you use and how much do you charge?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 14

they look amazing, but WOW, that is a lot of work!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 14

You agreed to do the cake balls for a price and I think you need to honor that agreement. Just because you did not estimate correctly it is not the bride's fault. Granted, you don't have a contract - but you would not like it if someone quoted you a price and then when you went to pick up the item(s) you were then told that it was twice the price. I know what you are saying and how you feel - the cake balls are beautiful! Now you will know for next time and maybe you should have a contract in the future.

I looked at your photos and all of your other cake ball displays are fantastic and so are those strawberries. I would also like to know how much you charge.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 14

Cakeboss Software!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 14

Sorry!! I think you're stuck with this price-- BUT, for the other order you quoted... Call her and change it! Just tell her what happened--you just did a similar order and it took 9 hours!! Explain that you must raise your price--or else she can go with a simple design to keep the price lower. Good luck!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 14

thanks ladies for the replies. Yeah no way imtelling bride who will be here in a few hours i want her to pay more. Imjust gonna think of it as somethin to add to the portfolio i hope i get customers from this.

Next weeks bride. Ugh. Ill just do it. Not her fault. I will tell them both tho they got special deals or something so word doesnt spread hoq cheap i am.

About price, thegeneral rule of thumb i hear is ing x 3 or more?
Letme get my calculator to convert to dollars.
For 80 oreo balls:
1 box oreos 4 usd
1 phil cream cheese 4 usd
1 block chocolate 4 usd
80 toothpics 10 cents
so 12 dollars
i charge 43 usd for 80 balls

please keep in mind the dollar stretches a LOT farther here, and if i were to charge US prices id be laughed out of town, as imalready considered pricey compared to the other home bakers here.

For what i did today i would have liked to charge 133 usd for the 117 balls.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #11 of 14

Since our cake balls are dipped in chocolate, we use our chocolate pricing which is $16/pound (or $1/ounce). Our cake balls usually go for $1.00-$1.50. For your beautifully desgined balls, I'd go as high as $2.00 per ball. You can tell you spent a lot more time doing what you did.

Paul & Peter

three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #12 of 14

just wanna add it costs me the same amount roughly to make cake balls as it does oreo balls. I do have flavors i charge more for that are specialty flavors and cheesecake balls.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #13 of 14

thank you p and p! Id love to charge that much lol. I guess my chocolate costs a lot less. Its a great brand tho i doubt is in the us. Its called faly.↲i am starting a new thing come november when i get my shipment from us. Im going to have gorgeous cake ball "packages" using all the fancy decors and ri flowers i got and those WILL be priced american pricing with a 50 ball minimum.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:05am
post #14 of 14

p and p i would LOVE to see some pictures of your cake balls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%