Can't Believe I Did This

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm by chelseak

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 20

I have been a lurker on here for quite a while now and I have posted a few times but I have never introduced myself. My name is Kris and I love this site, I have learned so much from all of you, and have been admiring all your work. There is truly so much talent on here, I mean just some unbelievable talent.
Anyway, I just wanted to share with you something that happened to me tonight. I was getting ready to mix my cake batter. I had two cake mixes in the mixing bowl and all the other ingredients, I lowered the mixer head and for some reason I hadn't already plugged it in. Well, when I did plug it in it was already on. Cake batter went everywhere, on the counter on me and everthing that was near it. I unplugged it and checked to see what setting it was on and it was on "6". I always plug it in as soon as I put the beater in so I don't know why tonight was different. I have hit the slider before when I move the mixer to the counter but usually the top is still up when I turn it on.
Sorry so long, just wanted to share my little story. I am past the "I just want to cry phase, and now I can see some humor in the whole thing.

19 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 20

Well first - welcome to CC! Stop lurking and start posting! =o)

Second - poor thing! I bet cake batter was everywhere! I hope it didn't take too long to clean up!

kaseyrconnect Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 20

Thanks for the welcome. After the initial "where do I start?" it didn't take that long but it was just sliding all over at first and I kept seeing it somewhere else. My counter does look pretty good right now.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 20

I did that once only it was a 20 qt mixer filled with powdered sugar. It was on high when I turned it on and I didn't know. Took me an hour to clean up 8 lbs of dry powdered sugar! You'll be amazed at how high sugar can shoot up into the air!

Oh btw ... for some reason I decided to wear BLACK pants that day! icon_surprised.gif

kaseyrconnect Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 20

I am sorry to hear that, I can only imagine what kind of mess that was because powdered sugar in a small batch seems to fly everywhere, but that much - oh dear!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:09am
post #6 of 20

I got my KA several years ago and its first use was to make a wedding cake for one of my son's wedding. I had all my cake batter ingredients lined up on the counter, and came time to add the vanilla to the batter...

The vanilla, maybe a tablespoon, was in one of those little nesting glass ingredient bowls, just a tiny one. Not realizing the power of the KA, I allowed the little glass bowl to get whacked by that amazing planetary action paddle... and WHAM!!! It flung that little bowl and its contents ALL OVER my kitchen in a nice solar-system kind of spiral! Now, my kitchen is 15 feet square, 10 ft ceilings... to this day I do not know how that small amount of vanilla could paint an entire room that large... but it can. And I do not know how that little tiny glass bowl bounced off that hard plaster wall without breaking, but it did.

I was taught first day to pay attention and proper respect to that KA!!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 20

Welcome to CC! I'm glad you can laugh about your little incident. It probably won't be the worst thing that will ever happen. I get my spatula stuck in my paddle all the time while it's running icon_smile.gif If you do it enough, you'll have spills, smears, and all kinds of accidents. But at least now you have a place where you can share them icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 20

Doens't that just bite...and I gurantee it won't be the last time. Yes, I have done that more then once...but not with that much powdered sugar thank goodness! And welcome to CC.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

I got my KA several years ago and its first use was to make a wedding cake for one of my son's wedding. I had all my cake batter ingredients lined up on the counter, and came time to add the vanilla to the batter...

The vanilla, maybe a tablespoon, was in one of those little nesting glass ingredient bowls, just a tiny one. Not realizing the power of the KA, I allowed the little glass bowl to get whacked by that amazing planetary action paddle... and WHAM!!! It flung that little bowl and its contents ALL OVER my kitchen in a nice solar-system kind of spiral! Now, my kitchen is 15 feet square, 10 ft ceilings... to this day I do not know how that small amount of vanilla could paint an entire room that large... but it can. And I do not know how that little tiny glass bowl bounced off that hard plaster wall without breaking, but it did.

I was taught first day to pay attention and proper respect to that KA!!

Have you seen the clip of Paula Dean on Oprah when she did that!! LOL so funny!!! icon_smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdCAjpjYOM&feature=related

Hope that link works icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 20

Welcome to CC! Glad you can find the funny in it! I found little droplets every where including on the wall behind my oven, the under side of my top cabinets...ect
Oh Debi! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You that desperate for snow?

Ha! Tburpin Paula snorted! I love it...LOL

kaseyrconnect Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 20

It is amazing just how far this stuff can go. When I finally got my counter and floor all cleaned up and changed my shirt, I thought that I had it all. Then I found more on the underside of the cupboards and on the clean dishes that were in the disdrainer. When I went to take my shower I looked in the bathroom mirror and just started laughing--it was in my hair. It is nice (and funny) to hear other people have done similar things. I told my sister what I had done and I finally had to tell her that she could stop laughing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyrconnect

It is amazing just how far this stuff can go.

Check the pic in this thread where my grandson spilled a 1 lb box of p.sugar. THe mess you see is not even the bulk of it! it's just a fraction of the mess that's inside her pantry! I asked her twice "are you SURE it was only a 1lb box?"

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-627943-grandson.html

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 20

My husband calls it the 'sugar A-bomb'... lol. I have done it many times! I hate it when it gets all over and occasionally I am wearing flip flops and it gets on them and all over the bottom. Just a real pain, but very funny.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #14 of 20

Oh, sorry that happened to you, kaseyrconnect. But, isn't it fun to share experiences like that with other cakers? This thread is hilarious. I can picture all of the stories in my head. Indydebi, your grandson's smile is adorable! How can kids so small make such big messes? icon_smile.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 20

Ok, replying to this post has jinxed me! I was doing my normal Friday experiment that I do in the mornings and had my PS all sifted in the bowl and went to sit my milk down next to it and what do ya know??? It hit the bowl and went everywhere as well as the milk. GRRRR! But I cant help but chuckle about it because I was just thinking about this post before I did it and thought 'I am not going to do this". Anyways, time to finish cleaning up... oh did I mention I just did all my floors and stuff yesterday???

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 20

Haven't done it yet with cake batter (give me time, I'm sure I will). However, last night we were grinding brisket for BBQ chopped beef sandwiches (grinder attachement on the KA) and I don't know what happened, but the next thing I know, the grinder is spining around on the front of the mixer, meat is going every where, my daughter is saying "Daddy, look what Mommy's doing!", we both look at each other then realize...oh - maybe we should turn it off (Duh!). Now there's chopped brisket everywhere, I'm trying to clean it all up, I look down and my daughter is standing on her tippy toes, picking up all the little pieces of meat on the counter top (the ones within her 3 year old reach) and shoving them into her mouth as fast as she can saying "I'll help you clean up Mommy" (well, at least she ate some meat that night).

Good news, Best Brisket sandwiches we've had at home EVER!!!!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:49pm
post #17 of 20

I am also a long time lurker & seldom poster; however, I had to come out of hiding to say it makes me feel so much better to know that I am not alone in my spazziness! Everytime I bake it looks like a three yr old did it. I get sugar & icing in places I didn't know were there. I ALWAYS wear an apron & still end up w/ sugar &/or icing in my bra, hair & between my toes. At times like that ya' just have to laugh!! That's one of the greatest things about CC, I always know that I'm not alone!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 20

I am also a long time lurker & seldom poster; however, I had to come out of hiding to say it makes me feel so much better to know that I am not alone in my spazziness! Everytime I bake it looks like a three yr old did it. I get sugar & icing in places I didn't know were there. I ALWAYS wear an apron & still end up w/ sugar &/or icing in my bra, hair & between my toes. At times like that ya' just have to laugh!! That's one of the greatest things about CC, I always know that I'm not alone!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #19 of 20

I haven't had the mixer accident in a long time (with my hand mixer, especially, I check before plugging in...it's always on!! I don't know how I keep hitting that slider button thing!) But several months ago I was making a chocolate cake and I measured a cup of cocoa powder and set it on the counter. As I turned around to put the cocoa container away, I hit the measuring cup with my arm, and the cup full of cocoa powder FLEW across my kitchen and bounced off the opposite wall. Cocoa powder everywhere! D'OH!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 20

I love that brisket story!! So funny!

Last weekend, I had a cake due and OF COURSE I was behind schedule. I don't even know how it happened but, for some reason my mom moved the cake and put it beside the sink. Do you see where this is going... Yup knocked the whole thing into a sink full of dirty dishes and water .....AAAAugghgh! She felt so bad! Thank god I had another cake on hand that was the same flavor (for a different project the next day) so i could QUICKLY redo it. I had to re-bake the next days cake....So, the moral of the story: Never put a cake beside the sink! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%