My First Gumpase Flowers! (Yay Me!)

Decorating By CountryCakery4 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 1:24am by CountryCakery4

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #31 of 52

I think they are stunning!!!!!!!! You did a fabulous job!!!!!!
I love the orange ones!!!!!!!
Keep up the good work, and I may ask for some help when
I decide to try flowers!!!!!!

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 52

Good Job!!!!! Hopefully mine will be as pretty when I start making them.

cakeymom

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #33 of 52

The flowers are gorgeous, especially the brown one because they look so silky.

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsbym

Yay You!!!! Beautiful flowers. Im still having a hard time making gumpaste flowers (boo me) hahaha. Congratulations Job well done! thumbs_up.gif

Have you watched Edna's tutorials on Youtube? They are fantastic and walk you through each step. The orange and brown ones were just from memory of her videos, but I rewatched them for the yellow ones and it made a big difference!

CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCakery4

Thank you crazydoglady!! I can't wait to get some Tylose and try this.

If you are serious about gp, don't waste your money on those little tubs of tylose. Go to ebay and search for carboxymethyl cellulose or CMC - this is what tylose if chemically. Its used as a thickener in the food industry....you can usually buy a pound less than $20.

Thanks for this tip... should be pretty useful, though I've never ordered anything from ebay before. I think I've got a little newbie nerves!

CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Your first flowers look nice!

Just be sure never to stick wire directly into cake.

how should I attach the flowers?

CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

I think they are stunning!!!!!!!! You did a fabulous job!!!!!!
I love the orange ones!!!!!!!
Keep up the good work, and I may ask for some help when
I decide to try flowers!!!!!!

I'm sure no expert, but feel free to message me if you'd like. It might be more like the blind leading the blind, though! icon_biggrin.gif

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #38 of 52

countrycaker, when you ask how to attach them, do you mean attach them to the cake?

i had the same experience with my first gumpaste roses a few weeks ago. i thought they were looking good and then i watched edna again. i need practice!

CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #39 of 52

Yeah, cakepro is saying not to put wire diectly into the cake (which come to think of it, i may have heard somewhere before) but that leaves me wondering exactly how to attach the flowers to the cake. Especially if you want to create different levels with your flowers. Some taller, some shorter, etc... Any thoughts?

crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:21pm
post #40 of 52

you can put the flowers into straws. either the regular drinking type or the small coffee stirrers.
i was just out weeding my garden which is going dormant and i noticed my orange rose was about to pop a blossom and i thought of your beautiful gumpaste flowers!

CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #41 of 52

Awwww, thanks! I'd like to add roses to my garden. Though we've already had our killing frost here in the Great White North. (Just north of Edmonton, AB, Canada) I'm pretty sure I can get a variety that will bloom in a short growing season, though. It's not like no one grows roses around here! icon_smile.gif And thanks for the tip on the straws!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCakery4

Yeah, cakepro is saying not to put wire diectly into the cake (which come to think of it, i may have heard somewhere before) but that leaves me wondering exactly how to attach the flowers to the cake. Especially if you want to create different levels with your flowers. Some taller, some shorter, etc... Any thoughts?

Here you go:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290-wire.html

CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #43 of 52

Thanks for that link, cakepro. The info in there was very helpful. Never again! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #44 of 52

Besides straws, you can use flower spikes if you're going to put a cluster of flowers in, like with the stems taped together. Wilton makes flower spikes that are about $2.50 for a dozen...they also make more expensive ones meant for fresh flowers, but you don't need those. The last time I made gumpaste flowers, I cut a couple of small circles of foamcore and glued them together, then covered with fondant and stuck the wires into the foamcore. It worked really well and it was a good way to use up the small pieces of foamcore left from cutting out boards.

crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #45 of 52

countrycakery,

i'm going off topic but wanted to let you know that i have lots of roses and they are hardy to zone 3. they were hybridized in your own beautiful northland!

crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #46 of 52

texas rose (who btw, makes gorgeous roses) is right on about the foam. i put fondant on a dome shaped piece of styrofoam, covered with fondant and it added shape to my gumpaste butterfly garden.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #47 of 52

Your flowers are beautiful, Great job, I was trying mine yesterday, the stargazer lilly that I bought from Tonedna, it was not going so well, will try again this weekend, also had neck pain that may be why.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #48 of 52

i tried for the first time gumpaste roses and not very pretty. I need lots of practice. Does anyone know how to get rid of the white powdery coating on the roses once they are dry? (from the corn starch) Thanks
Deb

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #49 of 52

Great Job...I love the Autumn colors!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcent

i tried for the first time gumpaste roses and not very pretty. I need lots of practice. Does anyone know how to get rid of the white powdery coating on the roses once they are dry? (from the corn starch) Thanks
Deb

Boil a pan of water and hold the roses in the steam for a few seconds until they look wet and shiny. Be sure they're fully dried before you do it.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #51 of 52

Texas Rose wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Boil a pan of water and hold the roses in the steam for a few seconds until they look wet and shiny. Be sure they're fully dried before you do it.

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Your flowers are beautiful, Great job, I was trying mine yesterday, the stargazer lilly that I bought from Tonedna, it was not going so well, will try again this weekend, also had neck pain that may be why.

My very first rose was pretty crummy. Hence, it wasn't on the cake. Those first ones are never quite what we hope for are they? Kind of like the first pancakes off the pan! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%