Couplers V.s. No Couplers

Decorating By Sue9069 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm by indydebi

Sue9069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue9069 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 6

I have always used couplers on my decorating bags. However, as I have been browsing around the internet, it would appear that lots of folks don't use a coupler for their tips when decorating. Is one better than the other or is it just personal preference? I've never tried without a coupler. Just wondering what ya'll thought.

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue9069

I have always used couplers on my decorating bags. However, as I have been browsing around the internet, it would appear that lots of folks don't use a coupler for their tips when decorating. Is one better than the other or is it just personal preference? I've never tried without a coupler. Just wondering what ya'll thought.

Preference...if you don't need to switch tips with the same color, then a coupler is not needed....I also don't bother with one for a disposable bag, and I usually don't fool with one when using a large tip/bag combo.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 6

I don't use a coupler if all I'm going to be using is a single tip. For example, if I'm making a swirl on cupcakes I don't use a coupler...but if I'm piping a shell border and writing a message with the same color, I will use a coupler so I can switch tips without needing a new bag.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:07am
post #4 of 6

I use a coupler only for above mentioned reasons - either I need switch colors and use the same tip, or I need to use the same color and switch tips. Even then it is not necessary - it only makes it easier.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:45am
post #5 of 6

I think couplers are a real pain.
I like to make a new bag rather than deal with couplers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 6

What Texas-Rose said. I also don't use a coupler on the super large tips (big swirl cupcake tip) simply because they take up too much room in the bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%