Was $35 To Much?

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm by cylstrial

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 24

I just did this cake. it was a 10 inch square-1layer. The truck is made of rice krispies covered with fondant. The truck took me at least 5 hours to make on. The customer paid $35, but thought that was to much. icon_confused.gif
I'm really frustrated, to put that much time and detail into a cake......if my customer base think a cake that was this much work is to expensive, then I may as well throw in the towel.... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif what do you all think?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1477956

23 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

I just did this cake. it was a 10 inch square-1layer. The truck is made of rice krispies covered with fondant. The truck took me at least 5 hours to make on. The customer paid $35, but thought that was to much. icon_confused.gif
I'm really frustrated, to put that much time and detail into a cake......if my customer base think a cake that was this much work is to expensive, then I may as well throw in the towel.... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif what do you all think?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1477956

Are you kidding? I'd have charged $50 or more just for the truck! Tell them to go to Wal-Mart and see if they can get anything like it....they'll find out really fast that you can't get that type of work for a bargin price! Next time suggest they bake the cake themselves and go to the discount store and buy a plastic truck! Customers who only worry about price will never appreciate your talent anyway, so don't worry about it!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 24

*Deep breath*

Oh honey. You paid her to make that cake.

A 10" square is 50 servings of cake. Even without the semi you sold that cake for $0.70 a serving. My costs for a cake usually come out a little over $1.00/serving, without the specialized model on top.

Here's an article with some pricing tips to keep in mind from now on. How did you arrive at that $35.00 figure?

People like that are not your customers. If she thinks it's too much let her go to the grocery store.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 24

Way way WAY undercharged! That's custom work right thar! And really great clean work to boot! That cake looks amazing. People just want a better than great deal because times are hard right now- and people in general all want something for nothing. She got an exceptionally great deal and should be singing her way tot he party. Assuming it is legal for you to sell cake where you are- raise those prices!

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 24

Sister, she took you for a ride! You do excellent work! Very clean and precise and that truck is just too cute! Look at it as a lesson learned and don't let someone like that take advantage of you again!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 24

wow! the sheetcake alone shouldn't have even be $35! she abused you and your time. never make a cake for her again, as she cannot afford your level of work. you said the truck took you 5 hours (i can totally see why; the truck looks AMAZING...very clean work for sure) and the cake mising, baking, cooling, icing, crusting, etc. probably took you at least 2-3 hours? if so, you just made $4 per hour...not even minimum wage. you should explain that to her! you could have charged $100 for that cake and still would have been underpaid. good luck next time...but gals like her aren't the kind of customers you want!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 24

if the cake was only 1 layer then it was only 25 servings, but everyone is right... you way undercharged. I'd have told them that if they thought it was too much they could go to walmart and buy a cheap plastic truck to slap on their nasty sheet cakes.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 24

I know how you're feeling. I live in TX where I cant have a bakery out of my home, so the cakes that I do are strictly for family and friends. That being said, I always cut people a great deal. 90% of my cakes are free. And the ones that I do get paid for are cheap cheap cheap. I plan on opening up my own bakery one day, so I look at it as though I'm getting practice and filling up my portfolio. I get better with each cake I do and I always try and do something different. When I quote a price for someone I'm usually not adding in my time that will be spent actually doing the cake. I live in a small town where most people are used to the price from WalMart and don't want to pay more. I usually do sheet cakes for around $30-$40, and I tell them if they went to Walmart, they'd pay around the same amount. For the work that you've put into that cake, I'd have to agree with everyone else, you completely under priced yourself. You have to make it worth your wild and try and make a little extra on the side I understand that, but don't sell yourself short. You've got amazing talent and if others don't see that, then send them packing. Plastic toys are much more affordable than custom cakes. Good Luck in the future.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

I......if my customer base think a cake that was this much work is to expensive, then I may as well throw in the towel.... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif what do you all think?

She is not a part of your customer base..if she doesn't want to pay more than $35 for a custom cake.
You have to find the right customers, and she is not one of them. It is not easy and something I am still working on, but they are out there thumbs_up.gif Someone may have said this already, but if you sell cakes for nothing after spending so much time and effort working on them, you will burn out very quickly and begin to resent it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 24

single layer 10" serving 25 would be at least $20 alone. 5 hours to make the truck = $7/hour BEFORE the cost of the cake, BEFORE the time to make the cake, BEFORE the cost of the materials for the truck.

You would have been better off handing her a $20 bill and sending her somewhere else.

I have a lady picking up a birthday cake for her daughter next weekend .... she's a previous bride who LOVED her wedding cake, so it's the only reason I'm breaking my rule and (1) baking a 6" cake that's NOT part of a wedding cake (2) turning on my oven for a cake that's only $35.

We're not here to beat you up. We've all got a story or two like this in our cake files and we've lived-and-learned from it. This is your live-and-learn moment!

The hardest lesson to learn is that it's ok to say "NO" to a cake order that is not profitable.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 24

In my local cake shop (that does fondant and custom cakes) they sell simply iced undecorated 4" cakes (approx 6 inches tall) for $25!!!! That truck alone is worth $35 -your cake is worth $100 like the pp post said - she got a huge deal at $35 - she's just a lemon customer - you're NOT the lemon hereicon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 24

Ouch. Live and learn, huh?

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 24

Absolutely love your cake! You did an outstanding job. Keep smiling and keep doing these great cakes. Now you know for the next customer who comes along wanting something like this. Keep up the great work.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 24

Goodness no it's not too much! It's not enough! Your truck alone is wonderful and worth that much. Let her comments go in one ear and right out the other.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #15 of 24

Your cake is great!!!! so sorry you didnt get what it is worth.... icon_sad.gif

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 24

Sweetie; your cake is fantastic! You didn't charge enough.
Let it go, chalk it up to a bad experience.

Don't give up, just don't undersell yourself, because your artistry is beautiful. Very clean lines, awesome, masculine truck! Sheesh!
Chin up.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #17 of 24

just got home from my little guys football game. wow, thank you all so much for you support! it means a lot, and I know that I need to get "tough" I just am very insecure about my caking making ability...so chin is up and move forward! Thanks for being my support system, I don't know what I'd do with out all of you! and all of you are so right I pretty much pay people so I can make their kids cake icon_confused.gif messed up, I need to grow a backbone.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #18 of 24

I have a couple of extra sets of cojones you can borrow as needed!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #19 of 24

you did a wonderful job on this cake.. truck looks fantastic..you will learn more as you go... what to charge. forget this one.. keep on decorating. you are really good..

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #20 of 24

i don't grow any "cojones" till i turned 40....ha ha ha....

don't feel bad...the work is really tight, you got the experiance so next time it will be easier...and you got a picture out of it....so theres that...

i can't even tell you the number of cakes we undercharged for the first year of being open.

people are stupid....you can see it in almost everywhere.....i was watching the HGTV network.....it's almost the same watching the property virgins being appauled at how much houses cost.

some cakes are so labor intensive it's hard to get the money they are worth....i'd have to charge 300.00 for that cake, and i couldn't get that around here...so i don't do stuff like that.

you did a great job....you should be proud.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #21 of 24

I haven't even read your post yet but 35$ is never too much for anything related to cakes.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCakeLady

I haven't even read your post yet but 35$ is never too much for anything related to cakes.

Haha! I know, I read the title and immediately thought "NO!!" before even reading the post. How often does it happen that someone fears they've overcharged and we think to ourselves "Ya know, that is a bit pricy for a cake like that"? Very seldom!

What a cute cake. She should have paid at least twice that. To complain about your price is just rude.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:08pm
post #23 of 24

ditto ditto to what everyone. Dont bother taking orders from people who wont apreciate you. yes its tough times right now, but if they want amazing work for nothing, well they best do it themselves.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #24 of 24

You made an adorable cake! And as everyone else said, it's worth much more!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%