If You Are A Cake Decorator, How Much Sketching You Do?

Business By julia01945 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 3:07am by Mabma80

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:12am
post #31 of 39

Texas-Rose, that is an AWESOME sketch! Now my sketch would look all geometrically symmetrical and in scale, flat with no shading, uninteresting to look at, not at all engaging like yours.

I find it so interesting how different people approach and solve in different ways. I forget which side of the brain is the artsy side, but I envy those whose artsy side dominates. I grieve for myself because that side of my brain, while alive, is seriously dominated by the more pragmatic side. I struggle to break out of symmetry. I am the Great Duplicator, not a Great Creator. And I hate it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #32 of 39

grandmom, I'm sooooooooo with you on the symmetry. Everytime a customer says "random....' I freak out........random dots, random stripes, random shapes......it all winds up looking like a print or pattern!!! lol I can't do random!!!

okay now THAT sketch is soooooo cool. It looks exactlly like the sketches you see people do when they're designing a new clothing line.........you know what I mean?? it's VERY three dimensional....at first I thought somehow you used a comp. program to add the drape around the tiers...so cool how 3-D those look!!
Love the colors too, I can see why she's showing everyone!! Can't wait to see the cake!

You know, I thought it would be cool to put a sketch and then the cake that the sketch became ...on my website..........maybe have the sketch and then when you roll your cursor over it, it turns into a photograph of the cake itself...that would be so cool!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:46pm
post #33 of 39

I drew the sketch with crayola markers, then scanned it to the computer and added a drop shadow and blurred the marker lines a little bit. The silver parts were done with a plugin called Primus...a free plugin you can get if you have paint shop pro or photoshop.

It looked a little more symmetrical when I was drawing it than it does on the computer icon_biggrin.gif

Nia_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nia_77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #34 of 39

Well Im not good at doing sketch..I have try but always comes out a bad,but maybe with doug templates it help my drawings so where can I find doug's tamplate? Does anybody knows?

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:53pm
post #35 of 39

I'm just a beginner, but I bought a sketch book and have been using it. I have 5 cakes to do for friends birthdays the next 2 months (and for me that's actually alot...LOL!) And since I'm new to this, it helps me make sure what I'm making them is what they want. Plus it helps me plan and I'm a planner no matter what I'm doing icon_smile.gif

I devote 3 pages for each cake and I write notes about the flavors, what the designs, are etc. I also print out and tape next to my drawings, pictures of "inspiration" cakes, party decor or whatever they are trying to match.

Plus it gets me excited to look at the cakes I'm going to be making icon_smile.gif And no, I can't really draw that well either icon_smile.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #36 of 39

I always and I do mean always sketch my cake. I need to sketch an accurate sketch so I can get an idea of scale and visualize all the details in my cakes. I almost never color them though. Just use my pencil.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #37 of 39

I always sketch as well.
The customers signs off on the sketch, this way they know what they are getting, I know what I'm supposed to be doing and they can't say the cake isn't what they ordered.
Here are a few examples, the 1st is done in Paint, the 2nd colored pencils and pen and the last is just a rough sketch.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #38 of 39

I mainly sketch wedding cakes. It's very basic but I draw it on graph paper and use colored pencils. It helps me when I get ready to make the real cake, especially if we met several months before. I will give them a copy of the sketch once they have paid a deposit. Got burned on that one time.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #39 of 39

I sketch and do a lot of it! If you go to the galleries part of this website, you can find templates of different shaped cakes. You can use that to draw on. I do and it helps! I find that sketching ideas really does help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%