Ok Looser Question Of The Year...

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 5:01am by xstitcher

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 35

I have just bought my very first small containers of petal dusts, or powders. I cannot get them open... **audience chuckles**... I am afraid if I tug too hard all the powder will be flying all over the place. Are they screw top? DUH... such a dum question, I know... icon_redface.gif

34 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 35

the ones with caps that are clear plastic are just REALLY hard to get open...ease it up on one side slowly till it gives a little...but do hold it tight, or else you will have dust everywhere....

some of the dusts come in screw tops....but I think those are obviously screw tops and the lids are usually white.....

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:18am
post #3 of 35

hahahaha - I am laughing because I had exactly the same thought with a few new ones I just bought.

I ended up getting the tip of the knife under the "lip" of the lid and twisting carefully BUT ... YES - I did think...... surely this is NOT the way they expect you to open it.

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:20am
post #4 of 35

yeeeahhh....been there done that. icon_smile.gif but i've got it down pat. practice makes perfect!! icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 35

yeh same for me lol I tried getting my gold lustre dust open the first time until my finger had a deep dint in it and was bright red then passed it down the members of the family til someone finally got it open lol

After a few opens it get easier to open from then on icon_smile.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:48am
post #6 of 35

ok... got it! Thanks I was feeling really DUMB!
Reefing gently... that is the key!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:12am
post #7 of 35

Get a clean sheet of printer paper and open it carefully over that, that way if any of it does spill out, you can easily put it back in the container.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:33am
post #8 of 35

learned this at a cake club meeting some years back.. just a simple bottle opener.. hth... i keep a small one in my dusting powder drawer...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:50am
post #9 of 35

Someone use to sell a mini 'bucket opener' just for those types of containers but I can not remember who it was...whoever it was also sold the dusts.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:51am
post #10 of 35

Nice to know that I am not alone with that issue. Love the sheet of clean paper idea and the bottle opener idea. Thanks for the tips.

all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:53am
post #11 of 35
all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:16am
post #12 of 35

I wonder if one of these would work...

http://www.usfi.com/greenworks/images/products/hospitality/sales_and_marketing/miscellaneous/Aluminum-Bottle-Opener-Key-Ring.jpg

could probably find one in the auto parts store or anyplace that sells key rings

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:58am
post #13 of 35

Have you ever heard of a church key? That would be the little device that has a pointy end and a dull end. Both ends have a thing underneath them.

Some people use the blunt end to open beer bottles.

I like using the blunt end to open those nasty containers. It works well, just make sure you hang on to that tiny little vessel that has just cost you $5+.

I also find that a rubber mallet comes in handy, when you need to close those suckers up.

HTH

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm
post #14 of 35

I just gently use an old fashioned can opener. (be gentle or it will put a hole in the lid!)

all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:22pm
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Have you ever heard of a church key? That would be the little device that has a pointy end and a dull end. Both ends have a thing underneath them.
HTH

It just seemed too big to be able to use it on them. I'm glad to know it works. Those bad boys from Jester's are by far the hardest of them all!

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #16 of 35

You would think that the different makers of petal and luster dusts would get smart and just make all of the blasted containers twist off!! But, then all of the cake decorators of the world wouldn't have NEARLY as much fun when they have to use it at one in the morning to finish their darn cakes and are already dog tired and want nothing more than to shove that tiny little cylindrical container up the makers nose... Sigh...

: )

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #17 of 35

I think they need to get those cheap bottle openers that people give out for advertising and pass out at all the conventions, cake camps, ICES, and with every order. I find the church key works but is a bit big. Our local convenience store gave out bottle top keychains and I have used it for my dusts.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #18 of 35

Several years ago, I was working in my kitchen one day with another chef and needed to open one of those little containers. I reached up to the magnetic strip (where knives are stored) and grabbed the "church key"/beer bottle opener thing and popped off the lid of the luster dust container. He stared at me and thought I was brilliant. LOL.

all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #19 of 35

This reforming sailor (not really...just cuss like one and trying to do better) isn't having much luck reforming when trying to open those things.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm
post #20 of 35

I'm sure that nobody would ever or has ever opened one with their teeth.

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm
post #21 of 35

Yeah, I figured out the church key thing pretty quick. I guess I didn't realize this tool isn't common anymore until it dawned on me that opening petal dust containers is pretty much all I use that end for. LOL

I've transferred my dust to similar sized containers (found in the paint/art section of the craft store), but had trouble labeling them. So, I found slightly larger containers that I can keep the entire original container inside of, lid removed, of course. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm
post #22 of 35

Y'know the Wilton edible dusts that kinda unfortunatley suck but they come in awesome scew top mini jars.

Jarring thoughts for you.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #23 of 35

I use my teeth..Uh Huh....gently pry it open....Sorry but my fingers just flip that ol dust everywhere....It's an art!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Y'know the Wilton edible dusts that kinda unfortunatley suck but they come in awesome scew top mini jars.

Jarring thoughts for you.

When I first started I bought those Wilton ones, but now that I "know" what I'm doing I buy the good stuff and put it into my old empty Wilton containers.

Now I only have to open the blasted things once to switch and then it's smooth sailing from there.

That and they fit perfectly into an old marker holder ,the stand up rotating kind, so they don't get lost.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #25 of 35

I am so excited! I have a few test tube style bottles that will fit in my gel pen stand that I also use for wires. I can transfer the dust in them and organize them by color and everything! Thanks for the help!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #26 of 35

A demonstrator at a DOS I went to last year opened hers with a bottle opener and so many of us smacked ourselves on the forehead and said "OH, DUH!"

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

NO - NEVER!!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

NO - NEVER!!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

Knowing MY luck - if I tried this - I would be looking down the nose of a HUGE dental bill .... front teeth caps in Land of Oz..... $3,000+ EACH TOOTH icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Nah nah nah - NOT using my teeth thumbsdown.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #29 of 35

are you guys talking about the little tubs with a piece of tape on the sides? I just slide an exacto knife around the "slit" to make a cut in the tape and then they open without a problem.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:51pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif teeth?? what?? (did you look into my kitchen? uh oh)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%