Gumpaste In The Refridgerator?

Decorating By Megabot Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 2:26am by Jeff_Arnett

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 5

For the cake I'm making this weekend I'm going to cover the tops of each tier with gumpaste flowers, I don't plan on refrigerating the cake after putting them on, but I think the venue for the wedding will. Will this have a effect on the flowers?

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 5

I've refrigerated gumpaste that is dry and not fully dry with no problems but do remember that other people had problems with sagging and such.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I've refrigerated gumpaste that is dry and not fully dry with no problems but do remember that other people had problems with sagging and such.

Depends on the type refrigeration. Dry gumpaste is usually pretty safe in a home refrigerator becuase they are pretty lowin humidity....but commercial coolers are different and are often high humidity....help keep vegetables and such fresh longer. If it's a commercial cooler, be sure to seal your cake in a sturdy cardboard box...this will allow if to be cold but will block much of the humidity from reaching your cake.

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 5

What if its a commercial walk-in?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabot

What if its a commercial walk-in?

Those are usually quite humid...do you have time to do a test? You could box up a flower and ask them to store it overnight in the cooler to see how it affects it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%