Wedding Cake Wars - What Did You Think?

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm by todolomio

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #31 of 73

I didn't like the show that much. Too much blah blah blah and not enough decorating. I'd like to see fewer competitors, more time spent on the actual decorating and less of the half hour of background information about the three contestants who were chosen to be spotlighted. Maybe showing the process of covering the cakes was good for people who have no idea what goes into the process, but I don't need to watch an entire segment of people covering cakes, so maybe this isn't the show for me...

I'll also say that I don't like a lot of the shows with the giant warehouse sets, whether they're the Pillsbury bakeoffs or the pie challenge that was on FN last night, for example. There's too much going on in them that they have to edit down into an hour, and you never see enough of what they're doing.

I also thought that the judges had pretty much written some of the cakes off before they had even finished covering the cakes, which (in my opinion) seems to be typical of competitions, but not really fair. I'd prefer them to judge the final product, not the process, but that's just me.

Of all the shows that are on now, I think that I like Amazing Wedding Cakes best, since it spends the most time on the how-to part of the decorating.I really don't care if they're showing "new" decorators or not, as long as I can learn something from watching the show.

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks all4cake. I had fun "cheating". icon_wink.gif

Your cake was beautiful thumbs_up.gif . I remember thinking "how rude" when the judge referred to your pre-printed elephants as "cheating". In such a time crunch with the way the show was formatted, I think it was best to have them prepinted so that you could complete all of the other designs free hand and get to complete your cake. I'm sure I speak for all of our other members We are proud!

Glad to see that some of our talented CC members were in the competition icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #33 of 73

all4cake - there was a forum here on CC about it with info on how to apply and figure why not. Nothing to lose. So I sent an email, went through the process and somehow got chosen. Don't ask me why or how because I have no clue!

NJCakeDiva- thanks. That was also the ONLY thing we made in advance. Everything else we did there. We did a lot of different techniques on that cake that no one saw on this show, but then again A LOT of other people made AMAZING cakes that should have been shown more. It's a bit of a let down and after the competition, I really felt like I didn't belong there.

costumeczar - I agree with you. That is NOT the way that they presented the competition to any of us. We were told that there would be 3 featured people, but that it was about the competition - hence receiving no pay. But it turned out to be a show about the 3 of them (no grudges there, seriously!!!) and not the competition. Basically, WeTV got a free show. There were SUCH GREAT cakes by competitors that weren't shown enough. That's disappointing and sad. They deserved recognition for their hard work.

Sorry, usually I am very diplomatic and stay out of things.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #34 of 73

I really thought the show was going to be a competition just between the 3 people featured.

What were the cakes set up cake-show style in the other area of the "warehouse"? They looked beautiful but they never were shown, and no explanation was given. I could just see the spectators milling around looking at them in the background.

I really didn't get the format. How were we supposed to care who won when we didn't get to know most of the competitors or see most of the cakes?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #35 of 73
Quote:

costumeczar - I agree with you. That is NOT the way that they presented the competition to any of us. We were told that there would be 3 featured people, but that it was about the competition - hence receiving no pay. But it turned out to be a show about the 3 of them (no grudges there, seriously!!!) and not the competition. Basically, WeTV got a free show. There were SUCH GREAT cakes by competitors that weren't shown enough. That's disappointing and sad. They deserved recognition for their hard work.

Sorry, usually I am very diplomatic and stay out of things.

I don't think you're being undiplomatic at all. I'd rather have seen how you were attaching the pictures to the gumpaste to put on the cake than to see people sitting around in their living rooms making sketches. Not that living rooms aren't interesting icon_wink.gif but I want to see techniques!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:11pm
post #36 of 73

I thought the show was okay.

Saberger I'm so glad your on this site. I REALLY wanted to see the Thailand cake. I got what the judges ment by cheating, but I think that is a personal thing. Can you upload pics. of the final product? It looked so beautiful, but we never really got to see a good shot of the finished product.

Thats what I didn't like about the competition. I would have wanted to see more details on all the cakes and not just focus on 3 contestants. If thats what limited the focus on all the cakes, then they should have less competitiors.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #37 of 73

I really liked it. I like that there were many competitiors for their sakes--more folks dilutes the stress pool a teeny bit. What am I saying --of course there's fourteen tons of stress~~ at least it's not as ramped up as when there's only 4 folks--you're a quarter of the show.

I was so happy for Ruth ~I got to meet her recently. What a fabulous cake!

A little less bio info--a little more real cake action, assembling, decorating or whatever but I really like the show.

Hats off to all y'all!

Gotta go back & check out one of my personal faves--Saberger!!!! You rock, GF!!!!

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #38 of 73

NJCakeDiva- thanks. That was also the ONLY thing we made in advance. Everything else we did there. We did a lot of different techniques on that cake that no one saw on this show, but then again A LOT of other people made AMAZING cakes that should have been shown more. It's a bit of a let down and after the competition, I really felt like I didn't belong there.

You are one of our (CC) very own, Of course you belong thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I was a bit let done by not really getting to see all of the contestants and their creations.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #39 of 73

I didn't get the cheating thing when she said "that seems like cheating..." I got annoyed a bit. The printer is a tool just like a cutter, a veiner, an impression mat for scrolls or quilted pattern....it's what the decorator does with the tools that is too cool....IMMHO.

saberger, all this time, I thought that competition thing from a while back(yeah, I entered it as well...my photo was less than flattering...and I don't see why it was necessary to send one in ...heck! Most of ya'll couldn't be seen 'cept for the tops of ya'll's heads...daggum! Maybe that's where I messed up...the top of my head is grey/black/and growing out auburn(read calico...))

I thought the comment about Charmaine (The Cake Diva) "...what planet is she on?" was at first funny, 'cause sometimes she does seem out there...then, I had to check myself....I ain't always together either.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I thought the comment about Charmaine (The Cake Diva) "...what planet is she on?" was at first funny, 'cause sometimes she does seem out there...then, I had to check myself....I ain't always together either.

I was offended by his remark. It was totally unprofessional and uncalled for. Nobody knows what anyone has been through in life, and how it effected them. Perhaps her life before cake was more stressful than his. He should shut the heck up and count his blessings.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #41 of 73

I think Charmaine (The Cake Diva) makes great cakes from the pictures I've seen, but the competitions I've seen her in, don't reflect that.

saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:43pm
post #42 of 73

It was filmed during the Great American Cake Show in Maryland. The cakes in the background were from that competition. I guess they weren't allowed (or didn't want to) give any PR to them.

They also never told the viewers what the rules were of the cake: at least 3 tiers, had to be at least three different colors (white and silver sound not be one of them), and there had to be a moving part on the cake. They never even showed the moving parts on any of the cakes (except for Africa and Versaille). And there were some COOL moving parts (bells, doors, gates).

I knew there would be conflict about the EI. Took that chance. I remembered seeing Beryl Ann Byrd on Food Network Challenge cover an entire cake using EI and figured I wouldn't get slammed for it. I even think the judge Jay was in that competition as well. You never know. No biggie. It could have been worse. I think I would rather get less air time than more and have been trashed or embarrassed.

Thank you guys for the support. I never went there to win. Just wanted to enjoy it, so I wasn't disappointed about not winning. Just felt like everyone was better than me. And I had fun not letting Colette get to me (she certainly tried her best, though).

My pics came out badly of the cake, so I came back and made a replica (with a couple of tweaks, of course icon_wink.gif ). I can't post here for reasons that I can't state at the moment, but I do have it up on facebook. Do a search for "a cake dream". I have more details about it.

And I agree, Ruth is the greatest. Janet and Ruth really made me feel comfortable and relaxed there. Awesome people!!!!

costumeczar - funny you should mention that about applying the EI! The judges stopped by the table and asked how I was applying them. I spritz them with water, and I was 'told' by one (with a very disapproving look on the face) that she uses piping gel and then I was told (very generously and nicely) that he uses crisco. I tried the crisco and worked great!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #43 of 73

I gotta agree, I'm so over pissy mouthed judges.

Not cool, not professional, borders on mean.

You got a captive competitor, under the gun & the judges are firing pot shots.
And let me say these are rather mild but completely un-necessary nonetheless.

We need to get above and beyond that.
There's a ton of other words in the dictionary kwim.

Shooting freaking fish in a barrel thoughts for you.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I gotta agree, I'm so over pissy mouthed judges.

Not cool, not professional, borders on mean.

You got a captive competitor, under the gun & the judges are firing pot shots.
And let me say these are rather mild but completely un-necessary nonetheless.

We need to get above and beyond that.
There's a ton of other words in the dictionary kwim.

Shooting freaking fish in a barrel thoughts for you.

Couldn't agree more. I guess some folks handle fame differently then others.......it seems that some of them forget what it was like for them when they first started out.

Oh well, I pretty much try to ignore all of the judges on these shows since they really do irritate me.

I also agree with those of you who thought that there were too many competitors for the 1 hr time slot. I think even if they had done 2 shows of 6 competitors each it would have been more fair to all of them.

When they announced the winner I was like....huh, where did that cake come from, oh yeah they showed her for about 20 seconds painting one of the tiers. icon_rolleyes.gif

saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #45 of 73

I agree dkelly...too many people for the show they ended up putting together.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #46 of 73

saberger - i've now seen the thai cake on facebook. wow!!!!! love the colors, composition and structure.
it's very obvious why you were chosen for the competition.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #47 of 73

I didnt love it. Seemed "sloppy", not the workmanship but the production of the show. Hopefully they will do better in later episodes.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #48 of 73

Could Ron BI be any cuter? I thought he was perfectly adorable.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:39pm
post #49 of 73

i liked it. but i agree all the contestants should have been featured. as soon as i saw the africa cake i knew it was a winner!!
i loved the judging and who can resist ron's personality. i wish it was a little longer. .
all in all i thought it was great!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:39pm
post #50 of 73

I enjoyed the show.....I like all cake shows LOL. but I was very sorry that everything was so rushed & they focused on only 3 people, we didn't even get a good look at The Fort in the end & the winner's cake was hardly seen. It should have been 2 hours & focused more on the competition than on the life story of 3 competitors. Does Ruth have a website I would love to see that Africa cake. I would actually like to see pictures of ALL the cakes. Is there any way this could happen? saberger! your cake is just lovely, wonderful work.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #51 of 73

first of all, congrats to saberger for being on the show. i, for one, loved your EIs. i looked on facebook and the cake is gorgeous! i loved your little buddhas too (i'm buddhist). very well done.

i'm pretty much with everyone else: i thought there were way too many people. or, if they really wanted that many people, make the show long/split it up into more than one episode to display everyone's work fairly.

i actually loved the background stories and that's why i wish there were less people: so we could see all the hard work that goes on before the actual competetion (yet, still see enough work/techniques during the actual competetion, is that too much to ask?!?! icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif )

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #52 of 73

www.ruthssweetejustice.com/

saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #53 of 73

Thanks adree and crazydoglady. I don't know if I mentioned, but I was just so thrilled to have 7 hours of uninterrupted decorating time (without the kids around)! THAT was my prize! icon_smile.gif

And Ron WAS the sweetest man! I fell in love with him immediately....but don't tell my DH icon_wink.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I love the whole format of the show. I did love some of the cakes that didn't make it to the top 3--that I wondered why.

I think some of that may have to do with the fact that the theme was location and the cakes may not have depicted that well enough. I know I heard that a couple of the cakes the judges said could have been from anywhere that by looking at them you could not right off the bat tell what location they were from but other than that I don't know either since I didn't get good looks at all the cakes (too many of them for such a short show IMO).

I seriously thought there were only going to be the 3 competitors as well from first off looking at WeTv's website (bio's only show the 3 competitors) and from the show itself. I was extremely suprised to see all the other competitors there.

BTW, I thought your cake was great saberger and didn't think that you "cheated" by using the printer anymore than one would be considered a cheater for using a mold etc instead of molding. It's a tool and you used it as such.

I hope if they do anymore of these shows that they reduce the # of competitors as well or at the very least increase the hours for the show like many of you have already said.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

[quote="
BTW, I thought your cake was great saberger and didn't think that you "cheated" by using the printer anymore than one would be considered a cheater for using a mold etc instead of molding. It's a tool and you used it as such.

Yeah...what was up with that comment.....edible images are just another tool in our arsenal...no different from lace presses, mold, etc. I though the elephants were hand painted they looked so good!

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I DVR'd it and am watching it now......so far I like it.

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen. Just how many hours a day do you think that poor little guy spends in that playpen anyway?

Back to watching.

Well answering your question. I only bake in the night time. In this occasion the show was being taped in the daytime. What they did not show is that I had a babysitter across the street that had the kids while we tapped. So, on his defense he is a healthy rugrat! On my defense my kids come first! Always! Hope you all enjoyed the show.

Carolina

todolomio Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #57 of 73
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I DVR'd it and am watching it now......so far I like it.

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen.

As a mom, and a contestant, who has 3 kids (5, 4, and 21 months), you learn to do what you can in short bursts. I am sure she had to leave the baby in there while they were filming her and then she would take breaks. I know how hard it is to get work done with a young one around. Although mine isn't in a playpen anymore now. But you learn when the child REALLY needs you or is just a little miffed.

I thought the show featured the three fabulously. I was disappointed that they barely showed anybody else. And considering that WeTV didn't pay anyone to be a contestant, that is a lot of money that came out of pocket for less than a minute on tv.

Ruth's cake was fabulous for sure!

Thank you saberger for replying on my behalf. I have 3 kids 7, 4 and 1 one with Autism that was the whole reason why I quite my job and started baking. I actually had a babysitter across the street that would take them while we tapped. They recorded our family for 3 whole days from dawn to dusk and more than half was not shown!!!! They edit and tweak the show to what they think will sell. I truly bake from 9pm to 4 am in the morning. The kids wake up at 7 for school!!! Many sleepless nights as many of you already know do!!!

I did not know that they had said you cheated until I saw the show. My jaw broke! It's ok this type of stuff is very subjective. For me as long as it is edible its not a cheat!!!!

You did great!

Carolina

todolomio Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:44am
post #58 of 73
Quote:

todolomio is Carolina

Yep that's me!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by todolomio

I have 3 kids 7, 4 and 1 one with Autism that was the whole reason why I quite my job and started baking. I actually had a babysitter across the street that would take them while we tapped. They recorded our family for 3 whole days from dawn to dusk and more than half was not shown!!!! They edit and tweak the show to what they think will sell. I truly bake from 9pm to 4 am in the morning. The kids wake up at 7 for school!!! Many sleepless nights as many of you already know do!!!

Ahhh, the magical world of television. I am sorry if I offended you it certainly was not my intent. I shouldn't type and watch tv at the same time.

Those edits never seem to portray things the way they really are, do they. I guess that's what makes for interesting television drama.

It must have been so frustrating to have them in your home for so long and then watch the final product and see that they didn't use most of what they filmed.

As far as the show being longer........I vote for the entire 7 hrs, then we would really get to see everything.

saberger Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #60 of 73

When they were considering me as a featured participant, they had asked me if the kids would be home because they wanted to show how a SAH manages to do this with kids around. Which is why they probably focused on the youngest so much. I told them that two were in pre-school, but i they needed them to be home, they could be, but I'd get nothing done! If I remember correctly, they were to be there for those 3 days we had to prep. I was a nervous wreck worrying about whether I would be chosen, because it is SO hard to do it with all those people around. I was relieved that I wasn't chosen (a tiny bit disappointed, I admit). As it was, I had just enough time to bake the cakes and pack everything up to make the drive there!

I commend you Carolina for having been able to do it. personally, I can only get things REALLY done while my little one takes his 2 hour naps and I'm stressing because he is starting to give those up!

dkelly - I am happy they don't show the FULL 7 hours....somethings shouldn't be seen icon_wink.gif It was interesting to watch because I saw NOTHING that was going on at any of the tables.

They were talking about making it a series originally, but it doesn't look that is happening, does it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%