Halloween Colors

Baking By Magna Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 1:07am by brittalicious

Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 7

I have been looking at all these wonderful Halloween cookies here and have couple questions. How do I get my icing so deep blue purple for the night sky (I only have Wilton colors available) and what is the secret to get yellow and green icing to glow?

6 replies
brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

well impretty new at all this sorry if im no help. for the dark deep purple u could use a tiny bit of the wilton black then add some purple becaue the black istn actually black anyways haha

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

To get dark shades in buttercream you have to make the icing at least the night before you want to use it; also start by coloring your icing a medium color (blue or purple) allowing that to 'mellow' a few hours before adding more navy blue gel &/OR some black. Don't use too much black so you keep the blue coloring.

It's about the same if using royal icing but royal dries just a shade or two *lighter* so go darker than you think you need icon_smile.gif It also doesn't take as long to develop the color as b'c does.

Sorry, can't help w/the glowing colors.

brittalicious Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

To get dark shades in buttercream you have to make the icing at least the night before you want to use it; also start by coloring your icing a medium color (blue or purple) allowing that to 'mellow' a few hours before adding more navy blue gel &/OR some black. Don't use too much black so you keep the blue coloring.

It's about the same if using royal icing but royal dries just a shade or two *lighter* so go darker than you think you need icon_smile.gif It also doesn't take as long to develop the color as b'c does.

Sorry, can't help w/the glowing colors.

oh interesting tip thanksicon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

Have you pm'd the member and asked what they used for the glowing cookies? I havent seen any like that. Have you tried the Americolor Electric colors? They have Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Pink and Purple.

Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your suggestions. I did not even think of pm, but I will do it now. And I have more then a month to practice. It seems that most people here prefer Americolor, I will go to their website and buy some.

brittalicious Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #7 of 7

im interested in seeing the glowing icing let me know icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%