Halloween Colors

Baking By Magna Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 1:07am by brittalicious

Magna Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 7

I have been looking at all these wonderful Halloween cookies here and have couple questions. How do I get my icing so deep blue purple for the night sky (I only have Wilton colors available) and what is the secret to get yellow and green icing to glow?

6 replies
brittalicious Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

well impretty new at all this sorry if im no help. for the dark deep purple u could use a tiny bit of the wilton black then add some purple becaue the black istn actually black anyways haha

kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

To get dark shades in buttercream you have to make the icing at least the night before you want to use it; also start by coloring your icing a medium color (blue or purple) allowing that to 'mellow' a few hours before adding more navy blue gel &/OR some black. Don't use too much black so you keep the blue coloring.

It's about the same if using royal icing but royal dries just a shade or two *lighter* so go darker than you think you need icon_smile.gif It also doesn't take as long to develop the color as b'c does.

Sorry, can't help w/the glowing colors.

brittalicious Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

To get dark shades in buttercream you have to make the icing at least the night before you want to use it; also start by coloring your icing a medium color (blue or purple) allowing that to 'mellow' a few hours before adding more navy blue gel &/OR some black. Don't use too much black so you keep the blue coloring.

It's about the same if using royal icing but royal dries just a shade or two *lighter* so go darker than you think you need icon_smile.gif It also doesn't take as long to develop the color as b'c does.

Sorry, can't help w/the glowing colors.

oh interesting tip thanksicon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

Have you pm'd the member and asked what they used for the glowing cookies? I havent seen any like that. Have you tried the Americolor Electric colors? They have Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Pink and Purple.

Magna Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your suggestions. I did not even think of pm, but I will do it now. And I have more then a month to practice. It seems that most people here prefer Americolor, I will go to their website and buy some.

brittalicious Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #7 of 7

im interested in seeing the glowing icing let me know icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%