Gumpaste Glue

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm by wrightway777

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:52am
post #1 of 10

how much gumpaste mix do I mix with water to make the glue?

9 replies
cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:20am
post #2 of 10

I've read that it's about 1/4 of a teaspoon of gumpaste with 1 tablespoon water. I never actually measure though when I make mine. I just pinch off a piece of gumpaste, then break into very small pieces and then add the water. It works perfect every time, so I wouldn't stress about getting the perfect amount. Good luck!

dnrlee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 10

so I should use gumpaste already made to make the glue and not the powdered mix?

cakefairy03 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:52am
post #4 of 10

That's how I've always made mine, with already made gumpaste. Sorry, I'm not sure if/how much you should use of the gumpaste mix.

dnrlee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 10

thanks! I'll try it with a pinch of already made gumpasteicon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 10

actually...try this link. She gives great detail (easy recipes) on some "glues" and even gives them in order of strength-NICE! One that she did not have on their was straight colorless liquor (Vodka, gin or Everclear) -cheap stuff is fine. It dissipates quickly due to the alcohol, doesn't leave a taste behind. One note though, I never use the water method...it eats at the fondant/gumpaste. And if you do go with the alcohol method dont use rum, I recently learned that the sugar in the rum eats/reacts at the fondant/gumpaste too. Be careful with Everclear though it has the highest alcohol % so keep it capped in whatever small container you put it in so it doesnt dissipate out before you get to use it.

http://mycakedecoclub.forumotion.net/modeling-pastes-f13/how-to-make-gum-glue-t9.htm

Note: I buy my tylose through www.globalsugarart. Another great site is www.su ga rc ra ft.com (take out spaces cause CC blocks writing it correctly) with other options along the lines of tylose to use... like gum arabic.

cakefairy03 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 10

You're welcome! I found this page on How to make gum glue and found out some new stuff. Thought I'd share...http://mycakedecoclub.forumotion.net/modeling-pastes-f13/how-to-make-gum-glue-t9.htm

cakefairy03 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 10

Okay, didn't see before I posted, but the previous poster already sent that same link! LOL I guess great minds think alike!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Another great site is www.su ga rc ra ft.com (take out spaces cause CC blocks writing it correctly) with other options along the lines of tylose to use... like gum arabic.

Be careful...I mentioned I had a tutorial on that site and received a message from the moderator that that website "CANNOT BE MENTIONED" on CC....I have no idea why though.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 10

argggg the "s" word .....egg shells...yep they're on my feet. Why cant they work out their differences...hold hands. I'm tired of the white elephant in the room!! Sigh...oh well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%