Gumpaste And A Dehydrator?

Decorating By cakesmade4u Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm by cakesmade4u

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 15

Has anyone used a food dehydrator for quick drying gumpaste? I thought I seen it posted before.. If so how long does it take to dry? TIA icon_confused.gif

14 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 15

I use a dehydrator often. The length of time is determined by how large and thick your gumpaste piece is and how strong it needs to be.

For small thin gumpaste that does not need wired and supported, it can often be used in a matter of hours. Larger pieces need at least overnight.
It really does a great job of speeding things up and I recommend it highly.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 15

Where did you buy your dehydrators & how much do they cost? I would love to have one!

classiccake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 15

I think you can buy them at Walmart, Target, Meijer's etc. I have had mine for years and I don't really remember just where I got it. Look in the small appliance section.

cakesmade4u Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 15

Thanks so much I have some pieces I have to have completly dry by morning. Dose it work with 1/2 gp and half fondant too? I can't wait to try it and I'm happy cause I don't have to buy one I already have it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif
Superstar I got mine at Walmart but can't remember how much it was.

classiccake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #6 of 15

My fondant has chocolate in it, so heat does not agree. Other fondants should work...I think! icon_wink.gif

cakesmade4u Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 15

I will have to experment thanks again... thumbs_up.gif

classiccake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #8 of 15

BTW....word of warning...do not put anything on top of the dehydrator while you are using it. It creates too much heat inside and you could end up with toasted gumpaste. Can you tell I speak from experience??? icon_cry.gif

cakesmade4u Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the heads up.... thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 15

Our Walmart doesn't have them. I am going to look for one when I go to Los Angeles in December. I don't want to buy one without seeing what it looks like & if it will meet my needs, but I really need one for the times when the weather is very damp.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:28am
post #11 of 15

Ok...I've heard about using the dehydrator so I tried it and it melted the piece I was trying to dry...what did I do wrong??? icon_cry.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:04am
post #12 of 15

I haven't used one. I usually put my pieces in the oven w/ just the light on. The light produces a little heat & speeds up drying

Walmart has a site to store option. check & see if the one you're wanting can be delivered to your store---they don't usually charge shipping.

cakesmade4u Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina

Ok...I've heard about using the dehydrator so I tried it and it melted the piece I was trying to dry...what did I do wrong??? icon_cry.gif

maybe it was to high. Mine has diffrent settings and one says 115.c I ended using for the quick dry it took about 2 hours. I even put a piece that was mmf & mmf mixed with a little tylose powder and it turned out pretty good. You should experment diffrent pieces in like mmf 1/2 1/2 fondant gumpaste and gumpaste so you know what works and don't work so it don't mess up something you need right away. Mine worked perfect. I wish I had a oven with a light so I could put larger pieces... But I have a older oven...

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 15

I live in a very humid area and always have to use a dehydrator. I use gumpaste, though, for 3-D stuff (or modeling chocolate if it needs to be eaten and taste good). I have not had any luck putting fondant in the dehydrator - it just slumps down in the heat before it hardens enough to hold shape. Try 50-50 or all gumpaste.

cakesmade4u Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 15

Walmart has dehydrators on line or in some stores thanksgiving sale 39.00 free shipping to your store.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%