Cake Shows Are Good For Business But...

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm by CountryCakery4

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 38

...sometimes not so much.
I love making the big extravegant cakes and I love it when someone says "wow it's like a Ace of Cakes cake", it's the ulitmate compliment.

But then I get emails like this and wish not everyone had cable...

"Good Afternoon, I am inquiring about a cake for this Saturday Sept. 19th.
Are you available?
I was thinking something along the lines of a 3-D stand up bicycle with a figure of my daughter riding it (she races bikes).
I would also like you to put some kind of mechanics in it so the wheels spin and her legs move up and down like they are pedaling. And if it is at all possible can you add something with dry ice (I think thatâs what they use) so it looks like she's "smoking the competition".
I saw a show on Food Network where they used a fog machine it was really cool, maybe you can try that?
I know they use styrofoam for 3-D cakes but can you do your best to use all cake, the wheels can be cake also right?
Let me know how many flavors I can choose and when to come by with the deposit, I know I have to pay at least 1/2.
Oh and I need it to serve 10-12 girls, I don't know if this affects the size...."

There is more to this email , this is just the begining, it gets even better! And all this for a party 2 days away!
Seriously I get all the good orders!

37 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 38

Oh puke!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 38

We can hear you chuckling from here.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 38

That's a real email?! I thought you were just exaggerating to be funny until I got to the end. Yikes!!

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 38

You should make a U-tube video of you laughing hysterically, rolling around on the floor clutching your tummy with laughter, with a brief note saying "To see my response to your enquiry, please click on the attached link". icon_evil.gif

Are these people for real????

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 38

Oh............ My Gawd. Did you ignore this? I'd love to know how you answered this, if you did. I really can't believe people sometimes. This one really takes the cake...... (ok, so that part was corny, but it still fits. lol)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 38

Your answer:

Thank you for inquiring. Your request is very, very ambitious and would take 10-15 days to make just the mechanics. It also would take payment *in advance* in the amount of $50,000.
In the future, do consider us when you are able to place an order no less than 30 days in advance.

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 38

Where would you get the mechanics for that type of cake? You know to make the legs move and all...
Sorry to hijack I am just wondering

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 38

WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY TO THAT!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 38

Omg, I am shocked.....but I shouldn't be. I can't tell you how many people call, fully expecting a cheap but Ace-worthy cake for a mere 48 hours later.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 38

Please tell us what you told this person. Please!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 38

Hubby and I are both ROLLING with laughter on this one! moving legs on a cake? Surely to high heaven she can't be serious!

Of all the stories on CC, this one would be the winner of the "It Takes the Cake!" award. icon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 38

I have'nt responded but I did add it too my "funny" folder, and yes I do have one.
I don't really reply to requests like this because I never know what to say, and when I do try it comes across very rude, so I just file them and forget about them, or share them with ya'll when they are really juicy. icon_lol.gif

The thing is it would be a really cool cake, just not for 10 people and not with 2 days notice. Had they emailed me 2 months ago I would have found a way to make it work ,well maybe not the moving legs.

Its just a classic case of "Cake Challenge Syndrome", they see Duff and all the others do it in 8hrs and assume anyone can.

Honestly I thought it was my hubby , he emailed me awhile back from a fake email address asking for a 3ft long peni$ cake with "happy marriage life" written on it after I had showed him the cake scam emails.

But no I'm pretty sure this one is real, which makes it even cooler.

I should add this one to my Full Moon post, it's very fitting.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 38

Wowzwers!!! That is a TALL order!

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 38

I think I need to change the part of my website that says "If you can dream we can make it"

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:37pm
post #16 of 38

Wow!! That beats the heck out of my wedding cake request (called on a Thursday; wedding the next Saturday) for 175 guests...but we only have a $200 cake budget. Picture me falling out of the chair laughing hysterically!!!!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 38

Oh I had a request yesterday for a full naval ship carved cake with the figure of a naval officer on it, for the coming Wednesday.

The best thing was however, it should only serve 4 people

sadsmile Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #18 of 38

The issue is they are watching an hour long show of a time elapsed and edited full day of only decorating with assistants, never mind the month of planning and days of baking and weeks of organizing for it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #19 of 38

I keep this in check by saying I need 2 weeks notice for all cakes, more depending on how complicated the construction is going to be. In this case I would have required at least a months notice and if she wants Duffs type of work then she has to pay Duff prices, which begin at 1000.00...she may rethink her fancy idea.

LOL

Cat

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

I think I need to change the part of my website that says "If you can dream we can make it"

No, just needs to be edited to say, "If you can dream it, we can make it, with 30-60 days notice and sufficient payment."

sadsmile Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #21 of 38

"If you dream it we can make it... but please allow us enough time to sell your first born on the black market to pay for it."

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:32am
post #22 of 38

I'm not sure what the problem is. I mean it's just cake right.

Haha, you know that would be the response from her

If they only knew......

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:48am
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

"If you dream it we can make it... but please allow us enough time to sell your first born on the black market to pay for it."

HAHAHA!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Babygrlny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygrlny Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #24 of 38

Wow that is hysterical!!! You should ask her if you can have whatever medication she's taking so you can be on her same level to come up with a way to create her dream world image. icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #25 of 38

What about "If you can dream it, we can make it. However, if you hallucinate it you're on your own."

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #26 of 38

I had to read the entire post to my hubby! I even made him pause the premiere of Bones to read it and that's a BIG deal. Good grief!

Dee0412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee0412 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #27 of 38

WOW! Thanks, I needed a good laugh. I was getting a little stressed out from all my cake orders. Glad I took a minute to read this. I thought I was the only one to get those kinds of requests. Have a great day!!

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

What about "If you can dream it, we can make it. However, if you hallucinate it you're on your own."

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif LOL

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #29 of 38

I think the top 3 funniest things I've ever read on this website are all included in this thread!

The original email

this: 3ft long peni$ cake with "happy marriage life"

and the if you hallucinate it you're on your own bit (sorry I could only copy one)

Great stuff!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #30 of 38

rofl; at the end of a long day, its nice to sit and have a good laugh.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%