Rolling Out Fondant...

Decorating By NiderVille Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm by Steelgoddess

NiderVille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiderVille Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 6

I am fairly new to cake making and I have a question about fondant. I am making a 10x10x10 Baby Block Cake for a baby shower. I do not have a rolling pin long enough to roll the Fondant up on. Any suggestions on how I should do this so I can ensure that the cake gets covered correctly.

Thanks,
Misty

5 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 6

How big is your rolling pin? I have a 16" long pin that I use for everything, it's just a case of making sure the thickness of the paste is uniform, you don't need a huge rolling pin

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 6

if you are rolling it out on a mat, just pick the mat up with the fondant on it and turn it over on to the cake.

If you aren't using a mat you can pick it up with your arms and move it, just make sure you don't have on any rings, watches, bracelets, anything that can tear it. Just slide your hands under the edge and get all the way under, lift straight up, go over the cake and come down gently.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 6

That would be a huge piece of fondant. You would have to atleast make a 30x30 piece of fondant.

What if you use the panelling method or the wrapping method? You get sharp corners and it's a lot easier.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 6

that's a very good idea rylan, you could also make the panels different colours for a great effect.

Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

Stand on a stool above your cake so you have a birds eye view. Place your palms underneath and pick up and place...

Before you do it put your palms under to test its not sticking or anything...

Hope that make sense?

xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%