Best Cake Pans

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 3:44am by cherrycakes

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 8

I know this has been discussed before but I don't remember which pans were recommended. I decided to find out if it is just me or if it is the pans that are the problem. My pans are old and they seem to be smaller on the bottom then they are on top and no matter how I put them together, (bottom to bottom, top to top, or top to bottom) they don't seem to match up and it is just a mess every time I do layered cakes. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

7 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyrconnect

I know this has been discussed before but I don't remember which pans were recommended. I decided to find out if it is just me or if it is the pans that are the problem. My pans are old and they seem to be smaller on the bottom then they are on top and no matter how I put them together, (bottom to bottom, top to top, or top to bottom) they don't seem to match up and it is just a mess every time I do layered cakes. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

1. Are your pans commerical cake pans from a cake supply? If there are the department store type, then the sides likely are slanted bigger at the top than the bottom.

2. If your pans are straight sided, then if could be that you are over beating, over baking or using a pudding in the mix type cake mix..... all these can lead to cakes shrinking more at the top than the bottom so that the sides are slanted rather than straight.

kaseyrconnect Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 8

My pans are commercial pans.

kaseyrconnect Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 8

No that was wrong My pans are more like department store pans.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyrconnect

No that was wrong My pans are more like department store pans.

Look at the side of the pan....does it lean out more at the top? If so try stacking them bottom layer top down, top layer top up.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 8

If your pans stack inside of each other, then the top is wider than the bottom.

I've got a set of 3" deep Wilton pans that I really like. I also have 1 magic line pan that I really like. I don't have a real preference between them.

I don't like Wilton's square pans because the corners are rounded...but I like their round ones fine. I really like having the 3" deep ones too...easier to get a nice height to the tiers.

kaseyrconnect Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #7 of 8

Thanks, I will check into both of these. I do have Wilton sheet cake pans and the corners are the thing I don't care for about them but round pans are just regular cake pans that you can buy anywhere and they do stack inside each other. I guess now I am going to start replacing my pans and hopefully find out that a better pan makes a better cake and that I am not doing it all wrong.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #8 of 8

Go with Magic Line - you won't be sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%