Working With Gumpaste - Starting To Wear On Me

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 12:18am by tonedna

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 6

So im working with gumpaste today, this is the satin ice one which has been colored grey with some black americolor coloring.
I had made this on thursday night, and covered it in clingwrap and stored in a ziplock bag in a cupboard.
The problem im having is it seems to be getting to sticky too quickly,
if i try to use to use some cornstarch to "unsicky" it then seems to get too dry and crack.
Am i just using too much corn starch ?
its starting to annoy me now as when im trying to model a shape (figure) it looses it shape because its too sticky or starts to crack because its too dry..

any sugestions welcome...

Thanks

5 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1974

So im working with gumpaste today, this is the one which has been colored grey with some black americolor coloring.
I had made this on thursday night, and covered it in clingwrap and stored in a ziplock bag in a cupboard.
The problem im having is it seems to be getting to sticky too quickly,
if i try to use to use some cornstarch to "unsicky" it then seems to get too dry and crack.
Am i just using too much corn starch ?
its starting to annoy me now as when im trying to model a shape (figure) it looses it shape because its too sticky or starts to crack because its too dry..

any sugestions welcome...

Thanks

Try using less cornstarch.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

Use a tiny bit of shortening instead. I don't use Satin Ice, I use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste, but shortening is exactly what it needs to behave better and to give you a slightly longer work time.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 6

Listen to TexasRose, she is very wise. Shortening is your friend with gumpaste, seriously, it makes it behave sooo much better! On your fingers, on your workspace, knead a little in, as Martha would say, "it's a good thing"!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 6

for fondant and gumpaste, I am a firm believer in shortening, not cf or cornstarch

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 6

Cornstarch will dry it really fast, I agree. You can add some fondant to try and fix it a little bit. I usually like to work with small pieces, so if it's starts drying I can add more gumpaste and bring it back to life.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%