Buldging Fondant

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 11:23am by something_sweet

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 22

I have a wedding cake today that is covered in fondant. I woke up this morning to 2 of the tiers having huge buldges and cracking! I am freaking, and have no idea of how to fix this! I am concerned that I am going to have to re-do both of them, but don't have enough fondant for that! I use MFF recipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Could someone tell me that I may have done wrong in the first place? Thanks!

21 replies
something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 22

Anyone? Has anyone other than me ever had this problem???

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 22

Could I patch the cracks with RI or BC?

ladybug76 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 22

Several factors may come into play with bulging fondant.... Maybe cake filling was too thick; did you let you fill and let your cakes settle overnight before covering??
I had 1 cake bulge and crack slightly (along trim) during a night once myself... I was "lucky" enough to be able to cover the crack with additional decorations.... you never knew it was there!! Where is your cake cracking? If you are able to post a pic, you may have some others that can help give you a better idea. I definitely would not try to fill with BC or RI since different consistency.
~ Jaime

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 22

Here is a picture. The fondant is literally hanging off the side of the cake.

I did let the cakes settle for a few hours, but not over night. My husband thinks it has something to do with humidity. I don't... just very frustrating!

martii01 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 22

im sorry to hear that but i think you may have put to much filling as well and it didnt sit long enough, it looks like icing/filling overflowed and expanded the fondant forcing it to crack. ive done this myself sorry im sure its not as bad as you think!

angem4 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 22

I'm having the same sort of problem with my cake that is due for a wedding today too. It's not cracking, but I do have a bulge all the way around the cake from the frosting. I didn't put a lot of filling in it, but it settled on me and now I have a ring around the cake. I was going to redo it, but I can't. I don't have enough time. I just hope that the bride will still be happy with it.

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 22

I pulled a portion of the fondant off, and it looks like the icing came off the cake. I think that might be the reason. I use Sugarshacks method for icing the cake and cut off the extra fliing before I icing the cake, so I don't think that is the problem. I don't know... at least the other side is ok. Hopefully no one will notice.

OfficerMorgan Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 22

What kind of supports did you use?

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 22

Despite all of my frustration, I am pretty pleased with the cake. Thought I would share. Hopefully I won't have this kind of problem again.

dnrlee Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 22

I think it's beautiful!

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 22

Thank you! The buldge is hiding in the back.

martii01 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 22

its amazing!!! you have nothing to worry about thumbs_up.gif

Lovemesomecake Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 22

GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ITS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this cake. Nice job!!

tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 22

This happened to me once and I still cant figure what was the reason why it happened.

Lcubed82 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 22

Your cake is awesome! Sorry about the problems.

angem4 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #17 of 22

It's beautiful! I love it!

sugarshack Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 22

looks flawless! how much icing was under the fondnat?

that sounds like you had a good ole blow out! Soory; I know they are frustrating!

chanda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #19 of 22

I posted about having this problem this weekend, too. WHat kind of buttercream does everyone use? I like IMBC best, but it gets soft. So I use a crusting buttercream this time...still had a blowout. Is it the weather? It was, once again, hot in the reception site. My buttercream seemed to have softened up over night.

MelissaMay Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:32am
post #20 of 22

[quote="sugarshack"]looks flawless! how much icing was under the fondnat?

How much icing should be under the fondant?? I feel like people sometimes don't care for the flavor of fondant, so I try to put more BC underneath, will this cause problems like blow outs??? How thin should the icing underneath be??

tonedna Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #21 of 22
Originally Posted by sugarshack

looks flawless! how much icing was under the fondnat?

that sounds like you had a good ole blow out! Soory; I know they are frustrating!

I am wondering about this.. I never had that issue before until the other day. I had a crack just like that. Nothing changed on the way I do things. No excess buttercream, good support system. The cracks where not on one layer, but in all.. I started wondering if it was some inconsistency on the fondant. I never seen this happen before. Im still wondering what made it happen. But I know what a blow out is, and mine was not a blow out. So if you have eny other ideas bring them on. Cause im still in awe.
Is the third time this week I see this happen here in CC. And thats why I ask wich fondant did they used.
Edna icon_smile.gif

something_sweet Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:23am
post #22 of 22

Thanks for the compliments on the cake! I used a crumb coat under my fondant. I have found that if I use too much BC, it just causes more problems. I am wondering if it is possible that rolled my fondant too thick? I read somewhere that this could cause it to crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%