Buldging Fondant

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 11:23am by something_sweet

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 22

I have a wedding cake today that is covered in fondant. I woke up this morning to 2 of the tiers having huge buldges and cracking! I am freaking, and have no idea of how to fix this! I am concerned that I am going to have to re-do both of them, but don't have enough fondant for that! I use MFF recipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Could someone tell me that I may have done wrong in the first place? Thanks!

21 replies
something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 22

Anyone? Has anyone other than me ever had this problem???

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 22

Could I patch the cracks with RI or BC?

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 22

Several factors may come into play with bulging fondant.... Maybe cake filling was too thick; did you let you fill and let your cakes settle overnight before covering??
I had 1 cake bulge and crack slightly (along trim) during a night once myself... I was "lucky" enough to be able to cover the crack with additional decorations.... you never knew it was there!! Where is your cake cracking? If you are able to post a pic, you may have some others that can help give you a better idea. I definitely would not try to fill with BC or RI since different consistency.
~ Jaime

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 22

Here is a picture. The fondant is literally hanging off the side of the cake.

I did let the cakes settle for a few hours, but not over night. My husband thinks it has something to do with humidity. I don't... just very frustrating!
LL

martii01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martii01 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 22

im sorry to hear that but i think you may have put to much filling as well and it didnt sit long enough, it looks like icing/filling overflowed and expanded the fondant forcing it to crack. ive done this myself sorry im sure its not as bad as you think!

angem4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angem4 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 22

I'm having the same sort of problem with my cake that is due for a wedding today too. It's not cracking, but I do have a bulge all the way around the cake from the frosting. I didn't put a lot of filling in it, but it settled on me and now I have a ring around the cake. I was going to redo it, but I can't. I don't have enough time. I just hope that the bride will still be happy with it.

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 22

I pulled a portion of the fondant off, and it looks like the icing came off the cake. I think that might be the reason. I use Sugarshacks method for icing the cake and cut off the extra fliing before I icing the cake, so I don't think that is the problem. I don't know... at least the other side is ok. Hopefully no one will notice.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 22

What kind of supports did you use?

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 22

Despite all of my frustration, I am pretty pleased with the cake. Thought I would share. Hopefully I won't have this kind of problem again.
LL

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 22

I think it's beautiful!

something_sweet Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 22

Thank you! The buldge is hiding in the back.

martii01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martii01 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 22

its amazing!!! you have nothing to worry about thumbs_up.gif

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 22

GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ITS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this cake. Nice job!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 22

This happened to me once and I still cant figure what was the reason why it happened.
Edna

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 22

Your cake is awesome! Sorry about the problems.

angem4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angem4 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #17 of 22

It's beautiful! I love it!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 22

looks flawless! how much icing was under the fondnat?

that sounds like you had a good ole blow out! Soory; I know they are frustrating!

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #19 of 22

I posted about having this problem this weekend, too. WHat kind of buttercream does everyone use? I like IMBC best, but it gets soft. So I use a crusting buttercream this time...still had a blowout. Is it the weather? It was, once again, hot in the reception site. My buttercream seemed to have softened up over night.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:32am
post #20 of 22

[quote="sugarshack"]looks flawless! how much icing was under the fondnat?

Sharon,

How much icing should be under the fondant?? I feel like people sometimes don't care for the flavor of fondant, so I try to put more BC underneath, will this cause problems like blow outs??? How thin should the icing underneath be??

Thanks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

looks flawless! how much icing was under the fondnat?

that sounds like you had a good ole blow out! Soory; I know they are frustrating!

I am wondering about this.. I never had that issue before until the other day. I had a crack just like that. Nothing changed on the way I do things. No excess buttercream, good support system. The cracks where not on one layer, but in all.. I started wondering if it was some inconsistency on the fondant. I never seen this happen before. Im still wondering what made it happen. But I know what a blow out is, and mine was not a blow out. So if you have eny other ideas bring them on. Cause im still in awe.
Is the third time this week I see this happen here in CC. And thats why I ask wich fondant did they used.
Edna icon_smile.gif

something_sweet Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:23am
post #22 of 22

Thanks for the compliments on the cake! I used a crumb coat under my fondant. I have found that if I use too much BC, it just causes more problems. I am wondering if it is possible that rolled my fondant too thick? I read somewhere that this could cause it to crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%