Whipped White Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By sweet-thing Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 12:17am by Didiqo

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

I make whipped chocolate ganache all the time. Never had a problem. Today I tried white chocolate. Didn't go so well. It tasted good and poured fine but I could never get it to whip up to a spreadable consistency. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 9

Don't know, but perhaps you could compare your recipe to these whipped white chocolate ganaches and see what's different:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6053/White-Chocolate-Rum-Whipped-Ganache

This chocolate ganache recipe requires twice the amount when made with white chocolate:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2116/chocolate-ganache-1

Other "white" ganache recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-130571-.html

HTH

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:43am
post #3 of 9

I use 200 grams of white chocolate to 3 dl of cream (1.27 cups) - if I take less chocolate it's not possible to whip it to a thick consistancy

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:56am
post #4 of 9

Tips:
Cheaper chocolate ie compound has a higher water content, so you may need more choc to cream to reach the desired consistency.

White chocolate is higher in milk solids so requires less cream again.

Most people seem to prefer to use Dark or White Chocolate of course you can use Milk Chocolate.

For our purposes a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 (Choc: Cream) is recommended for using under fondant. More specifically:

Dark chocolate (Cadburyâs or Nestle) suggested 300mls cream to 600g choc
White chocolate (Cadburyâs or Nestle) suggested 360g choc to 150ml cream.

Some cheaper brands of white choclate are not the best types to use -

Callebaut (Couveture Chocolate) suggested usage may be 100mls cream 150g dark choc & 100mls cream 300g white choc
If using milk one member tried 300g chocolate and 1/2 cup shape milk and found it worked out quite successfully for them.

Some tips taken from a post i posted last month.

Also - did you whip it for a good 10 minutes?

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:01am
post #5 of 9

Not to divert the intent of the thread, but twice this morning I've seen mention of whipped chocolate ganache. Never had it. What' it like in texture? Does it still serve as a foundation for fondant, or is it just used as a filling?

Thanks.

Bluehue Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:40am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Not to divert the intent of the thread, but twice this morning I've seen mention of whipped chocolate ganache.
Never had it. What' it like in texture? Its like the inside of a real chocolate truffle - that creamy softtttttt smooooooooth chocolate - melts in your mouth.....that makes people go - hmmmmm, gee thats good - icon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_lol.gif Does it still serve as a foundation for fondant, or is it just used as a filling?
Over here in Australia we use it as filling for cakes -
applied and smoothed just like BC on the outside of a cake -
and 80% of the time applied and smoothed on ourt cakes before applying the fondant.
Best applied to cake using a pallett knife or spatular.

Bluehue

Thanks.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 9

Good golly, you make that sound delicious! I'm trying it.

Thanks!

Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Good golly, you make that sound delicious! I'm trying it.

Thanks!

Ooops - one thing i forgot to mention is - after you have added the boiled cream to the chocolate - whip it for a good 10 minutes or so - that way it gets alot of air into it and then it will be lovely and creamy -

It will keep in the fridge for 3 - 4 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
When you take it out of the freezer you can just leave it on the bench to thaw - then give it a good stir with a spoon or you can just whip it up again.

Its yum - thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

Didiqo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Didiqo Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #9 of 9

i just discovered this trick, coz most of the time the ganache is always soggy. and melted.
with the ratio 2:1 (choco: cream), i microwave the cream first and touch it if its warm. how many seconds? i usually do 10 sec each time so depends on how cool your cream is. then by touching if its warm now then you could pour the chocolate chips, and leave it alone. then after few minutes check it , if it melted and still doesnt have the consistency yet. place the mixed ingredients to a metallic bowl and put over a big bowl with ice. continue to beat by hand ( not a mixer ) until it cools down. check for the consistency each time. trust me if u do this technique you can spread it and pipe it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%