Do You Use Name Brand Products When Making Mmf?

Decorating By whit6 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm by PuffCake

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

When I first started decorating cakes I used the Wilton fondant once and was very unhappy with it. Not only was it expensive, it was disgusting! I figure why bother putting all this work into putting fondant on a cake and make it look beautiful if they're just going to pick it off? Needless to say I have been making MMF ever since and love it. Not only can I make it for a fraction of the cost, but it tatstes great (many fondant skeptics have loved it) it is easy to dye the corect color as you melt the marhmallows, and it cover so smoothly without any cracks and sems much more eleastic than Wilton.

My only question is if you all use C&H sugar ad Jet Puff whnever you make it? The very first time I made it the directions online specifically said to only use these brands or it wouldn't work. Being the cheapskate that I am haha I tried generic for both these items and it didn't turn out. Since then I have used name brands ever since and it has worked just fine. Now the inner cheap wad in me is coming through again and I am wondering if you can really use the generic brand and save even more money and that maybe the only reason it didn't work was because it was my very first time making MMF and i didn't know what to expect.

What is your experience? Any other MMF tips you can share?

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit6

My only question is if you all use C&H sugar ad Jet Puff whnever you make it? The very first time I made it the directions online specifically said to only use these brands or it wouldn't work. What is your experience? Any other MMF tips you can share?

On a recent episode of "How It's Made", they said all the marshmellows sold in the US are made by about 3 companies and sold under various labels.

I use store brand marshmellows and powdered sugar all the time....just be sure to sift the sugar (I always sift when making fondant or gum paste).

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

I will use any sugar as long as it's pure cane sugar and 10x. That rules out all the generics icon_razz.gif

I also use the Kraft marshmallows. I've done it before with Walmart ones when they were out of Kraft, and wasn't happy with the way it came out.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 6

I've used both store brand and name brand....I prefer the STORE brand.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

I always use brand name marshmallows. I have used both and the brand name product come out superior. Powdered sugar is 10x... I use Dominos or Sam's Chef's and Baker's which is far more economical.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

I use Kraft Jet Puffed MM, but Wal Mart brand works just as well. I prefer name brand (Dominoes) PS because it's 10x sifted. I no longer sift PS ever since I saw a post by SugarShack once where she said she doesn't sift PS anymore. I stopped sifting after that and have never had any problems or lumps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%