Hi-Ratio Shortening Question

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm by blessedist

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 14

I bought some hi ratio shortening the other day and made my first batch of icing with it yesterday...The texture was fantastic BUT I hated the taste. I had added the butter extract which I have never used before so I'm not sure if it was that that I hated or the shortening. If I use the high ratio shortening in my normal recipe, (1/2 short 1/2 butter) will I get the normal buttery taste? I refuse to use that extract again....or does the high ratio shortening actually affect the taste?

TIA

13 replies
cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 14

I make my buttercream with 1/2 butter, 1/2 hi-ratio shortening, and I think it tastes wonderful. It is a lot smoother than making the same icing with Crisco and butter, but it's not quite as smooth as making it with all shortening. However, I think the taste is worth it.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 14

Try Lorann's butter oil...or butivan...or princess emulsion...or..or.. there are lots of good substitutions for extract.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 14

I think it depends on the brand of shortening. I used CK high ratio and noticed a difference in the taste of my buttercream. Lately I find that using more flavoring (vanilla, almond, butter etc) makes a big difference. Just use the flavor you like best. I am going to research where to purchase Alpine or Sweetex hi ratio shortening in my area and give that a try.

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 14

I just happened to notice it at bulk barn so i thought i'd try it. I don't know what brand it was, cause it was at bulk barn in a giant bucket....

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 14

I use Sweetex. I don't notice any unusual or unpleasant taste from it. I would guess it was your butter flavoring you used. I am extremely pleased with the results of the Sweetex. I can't wait until the weather cools off so that I can order some more. I have to order it online. I can't find it anywhere around here.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 14

I've used Alpine for years and am not aware of a taste. Love the stuff!

|
|
V
siggy

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 14

With my first batch of BC using high-ratio, I was mad as heck because I thought it tasted just plain awful right out of the bowl. But I slathered a big wad of it on some cake trimmings..... mmmmmmmm!!!! Something about the two just works together so well.

I was using Sugarshack's BC recipe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 14

Don't you use less fat if you use hi-ratio? (I don't know ... seems I heard that and I'm asking you all to educate me!)

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 14

Price, I just ordered 50 lb. of Sweetex from www. fondant source .com and it arrived from Florida to Kentucky in fine condition. She said they had received no reports of heat damage. Although still incredibly expensive, the price was as good as I have found.

If the website I mentioned gets blocked, pm me if you want to know.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Don't you use less fat if you use hi-ratio? (I don't know ... seems I heard that and I'm asking you all to educate me!)

No, I have recipes that have all HR. I think it tastes better than all crisco. Not as good as all butter though.

Mike

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks grandmom. I will probably order some in a couple of weeks.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 14

I use Hi Ratio shortening all the time and you do use less than regular shortening when making your buttercream. Instead of using 1c. use 3/4c for 1 recipe to 4c or 1 lb of confectioners sugar. When you use a butter flavoring try not to use the Wilton brand, sorry Wilton, for some reason it has an off flavor and it produces an odd flavor to the icing. CK's butter flavor is not bad and McCormicks is good, although expensive. Look around I am sure you will find some good ones and probably many CC'rs can probably give you some suggestions. Don't forget to put a pinch of salt in your icing when you make it also, gives it great flavor and takes away the "sweetness" but brings out the flavor. Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 14

Well, even if you order the Sweetex and it melts in route to you, does it matter? I assume Sweetex is like regular shortening that you use to fry chicken and it turns back to form when cooled.....is it a different consistency? Especially the more fat, the quicker it will turn back. I remember my grandma would pour the "clean grease" back in the medal drum and it would be back white and thick in a few hours

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%