Get Red Icing

Decorating By cowgirllvn Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm by Sweetriley

cowgirllvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirllvn Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make a "ketchup" red color and no matter how much red I had I keep coming up with a pink.......HELP please

6 replies
MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 7

cowgirllvn,
Red is a hard color to get right. I have to a entire 1oz bottle in order to get a deep red.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 7

Hiya ~ If you have time, let it sit, overnight if possible. This works for black too. icon_smile.gif HTH!

cowgirllvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirllvn Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

thank you both.....unfortunetly I don't have all night...but will let it sit the rest of the day and see what color I end up with...thank you both....

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, I found this in the wilton page It might help you a little bit...good luck...

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/tips-on-coloring-icing.cfm

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 7

If you have access to Americolor brand colors, get Super Red. It's awesome! Requires much less than Wilton to achieve a bright red color. Otherwise, I would suggest starting with pink, and if you are using Wilton, use No Taste Red since large amounts of other Wilton reds leave a bad taste. Also, as a PP said, the color will deepen over time.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with Puff. Even if you can't use it now, switch to Americolor gels. They are SO much better than Wilton for deepness and true shades and you have to use very little. "Super Red" and "Super Black" are the best. I will NEVER go back. Hope everything works out now. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%