Imbc - Yuck!!!!

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm by PinkZiab

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 58

I just tried making IMBC for the first time. The recipe I used started with whipping wilton's meringue powder with water. I tasted it and - YUCK! icon_cry.gif

What could have gone wrong.... certainly it isn't supposed to taste like meringue powder and vanilla. I added 1 tbsp vanilla; was that too much?

57 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I just tried making IMBC for the first time. The recipe I used started with whipping wilton's meringue powder with water. I tasted it and - YUCK! icon_cry.gif

What could have gone wrong.... certainly it isn't supposed to taste like meringue powder and vanilla. I added 1 tbsp vanilla; was that too much?

I've never made it with meringue powder, only fresh whites.

Tastes for icing preferences can be very different. To be honest, I don't care for SMBC or IMBC....to me, it just tastes like sweet butter....I much prefer a powdered sugar icing.....but to each his own!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 58

I wish it tasted like sweet butter instead of crap! icon_sad.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 58
Quote:

I wish it tasted like sweet butter instead of crap! icon_sad.gif

Let's get it all straight....you whipped the whites, boiled the sugar syrup and added it to the whites, beat it until cool, then beat in the butter and flavor and it still was bad?

Can you give us the amounts of the ingredients you used? It might help shed some light on things.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 58

it doesn,t sound like you make imbc.. you haven,t said anything about boiling sugar and water to a certain temp.. nor adding butter when the first mixture cools off. when i make imbc.. i use real egg whites and go from there.. it sounds like you just beat wilton meringue power and water? tell us how you make imbc.. i make imbc here and there.. put prefer the american way better.. taste better to me. no like a mouth full of butter. lots of people love it though.. the best recipe i have ever made of imbc is from the wbh.. or dede wilson's book. love her..hth

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 58

So, you've whipped the reconstituted meringue powder and added vanilla? That's not imbc, that's vanilla flavored whipped egg whites. Would taste nasty if it were fresh egg whites, too.

Once you've whipped the reconstituted meringue powder/egg whites, you add the boiled sugar syrup and whip until it is a fluffy boiled meringue icing. You let that cool, then add unsalted butter and the flavoring. Then it's imbc. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 58

Even egg whites with vanilla tastes nasty. I think you forgot the sugar.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 58

Sorry, I should have clairfied.... here is exactly as I did it:

icon_biggrin.gif Whipped 3 tbsp wilton's meringue powder with 1/2 c water
icon_biggrin.gif Cooked 3 c sugar and 1/4 c corn syrup until it boiled (I don't have a thermometer)
icon_biggrin.gif Slowly added the syrup while whipping (let it cool for a few minutes first)
icon_biggrin.gif Put the bowl in ice water for a few minutes
icon_biggrin.gif Added 1 c crisco and whipped in
icon_biggrin.gif Slowly added 4 sticks butter while whipping and 1 tbsp vanilla

Here is the recipe I followed: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4243/Meringue-based-Buttercream

I know it said 1 tsp vanilla but I have read others saying IMBC is too buttery so I added more; maybe this is the problem?

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 58

Okay, that's the recipe I posted, well, except I use 2 cups sugar, not 3. You might not have cooked the syrup long enough. It's really important to have that thermometer. The syrup needs to be cooked to 225 deg F. I only use 1 tsp vanilla, to me (and my family, friends and customers), that's enough. We like the buttery flavor. I don't like the vanilla to over-power the other flavors in the icing. Honestly, I think those who say that IMBC or SMBC is too buttery are those who prefer the powdered-sugar and shortening decorator's frosting (aka Wilton Buttercream). The ideal IMBC is really fluffy and smooth and silky and is sweet and buttery.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 58

Oops, I used 2 cups not 3; that was just a typo. I must have added too much vanilla. Thanks for your help - I feel like a scientist sometimes lately. icon_confused.gif

This cake is just for the house (and the picture I will take of it), so maybe the nasty bc will keep me and hubby from eating it!! icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 58

i use sharons zambito's hi ratio shortening buttercream.. sometimes all hi-ratio shortening.. sometimes butter and hi-ratio shortening. no its not the wilton recipe.. i use what most of my clients ask for.. they don,t like the imbc.. THEY say it taste like eating a stick of butter.. i dont use crisco in my imbc at all.. just butter.. again,, wbc and dede wilson... has great imbc recipe.. lots of decorators on this site.. use indydebi's recipe.. she uses crisco.. etc.. and this is not wiltons recipe.. lots of recipes on this site(not wiltons).. buttercream recipe...

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 58

According to this post (scroll down a bit): http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/lessons-learnedmoney-wasted.html
you should never sub meringue powder for egg whites.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 58

Meringue buttercreams are not for everyone.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 58

Meringues are for those looking for a more refined icing for their gourmet cake. icon_wink.gif Like me.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 58

I have to say I made it one day too and it texture and the look was wonderful, but I like a sweet icing so I wasn't able to eat it either.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 58

I had never tasted it until we stopped in at Wendy Kromers bakery - we had a chocolate version - very silky and wonderful to us. BUT no one I have made it for likes it here either. They prefer sugarshack's buttercream recipe and just an FYI - some of the clients that purchase my cakes would not be happy with your "refined" statement _jaime_! icon_wink.gif

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

According to this post (scroll down a bit): http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/lessons-learnedmoney-wasted.html
you should never sub meringue powder for egg whites.

She was making SMBC, which I imagine it wouldn't work in. But I've been using it as the base for IMBC for several years now. Never had a problem. In fact, I've never gotten fresh egg white to work in IMBC, but the meringue powder works perfectly every time -- never breaks down!

FlourPots Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 58

Oh, I see...I thought they were the same thing, just different methods of preparing.

prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Oh, I see...I thought they were the same thing, just different methods of preparing.

They are similar, but the difference in preparing is why the meringue powder won't work in SMBC. For SMBC you cook the whites and the sugar together in a double boiler. For IMBC you whip the egg whites then whip in a sugar syrup that has been boiled to 225 deg F. This is basically the same as making the fluffy boiled meringue icing that there's a recipe for on the can of Wilton Merinuge.

FlourPots Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #20 of 58

Got it...thanks for clarifying icon_redface.gif .

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 58

Hmmm. i really want to try either of the meringue icings. i'll start with a cake for the house and see how it goes. As Dede Wilson calls it: it's the Duncan Heins conundrum....some people want scratch cake that tastes like box cake and homemade icing that tastes store bought. Still trying to find a happy medium.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #22 of 58

I've never heard of an IMBC that had Wilton's powdered meringue, corn syrup, or shortening, Thats sounds like it would taste bad.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I had never tasted it until we stopped in at Wendy Kromers bakery - we had a chocolate version - very silky and wonderful to us. BUT no one I have made it for likes it here either. They prefer sugarshack's buttercream recipe and just an FYI - some of the clients that purchase my cakes would not be happy with your "refined" statement _jaime_! icon_wink.gif

That's ok! icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm
post #24 of 58

I like Sugarshack's too when the weather doesn't permit a meringue based BC. I think it's great.

But when I describe SMBC to a client, who perhaps has never had anything other than the traditional typical shortening based stuff, I am A-ok with saying it's for "the discriminate palate" icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #25 of 58
Quote:

Sorry, I should have clairfied.... here is exactly as I did it:

icon_biggrin.gif Whipped 3 tbsp wilton's meringue powder with 1/2 c water
icon_biggrin.gif Cooked 3 c sugar and 1/4 c corn syrup until it boiled (I don't have a thermometer)
icon_biggrin.gif Slowly added the syrup while whipping (let it cool for a few minutes first)
icon_biggrin.gif Put the bowl in ice water for a few minutes
icon_biggrin.gif Added 1 c crisco and whipped in
icon_biggrin.gif Slowly added 4 sticks butter while whipping and 1 tbsp vanilla

Here is the recipe I followed: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4243/Meringue-based-Buttercream

I know it said 1 tsp vanilla but I have read others saying IMBC is too buttery so I added more; maybe this is the problem?

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

Did you use unsalted butter? Salted butter should not be used. Really, just try a different recipe from CC's recipe site. Really, when made correctly, I haven't had one person not like it.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #26 of 58

Me neither Swartz. Very intriguiing.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #27 of 58
Quote:

Have you ever tasted Wilton fondant? If you have, that shoulda kinda been your first clue.

Next time, go to the huge SMBC thread on here, and try one of those recipes. It's easier than boiling sugar, and the results are the same. Try making IMBC when you have mastered SMBC, since it's more of a challenge.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Have you ever tasted Wilton fondant? If you have, that shoulda kinda been your first clue.

Next time, go to the huge SMBC thread on here, and try one of those recipes. It's easier than boiling sugar, and the results are the same. Try making IMBC when you have mastered SMBC, since it's more of a challenge.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

HAHAHAAA!!!! So true, I should have known! Thanks everyone; guess I will just have to crack an egg next time ((sigh)) icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone post a link to an *easy* smbc they find tried and true??

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #30 of 58

I always tell first-timers to use this recipe. I think it's on the sweet side, but the instructions are so darn easy that my 13-year-old grand-niece was able to do it, with me at her side to coach her.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/swiss-meringue-buttercream-cupcake-book?autonomy_kw=swiss meringue buttercreme

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%