Sam's Buttercream

Decorating By overindulged Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 2:01am by laceycakes

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 7

I am in search for a store-bought buttercream. I have no patience for making my own. I'm not a baker or a pro, just do cakes as a hobby. I just want to open a tub and frost. We've tried CK buttercream, but its kind of expensive. I've been buying Wilton's big tub of icing using 40/50% off coupons, but DH says there's an aftertaste.

I've read about Sam's buttercream here. I called the only Sams with a bakery within a 60 mile radius and the lady said they don't sell the buttercream separately. How are there Sams that would sell buttercream, but not the one here? (Northern Indiana) Should I take the chance and drive up there anyway and see what the bakery department says?

6 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrak

I am in search for a store-bought buttercream. I have no patience for making my own. I'm not a baker or a pro, just do cakes as a hobby. I just want to open a tub and frost. We've tried CK buttercream, but its kind of expensive. I've been buying Wilton's big tub of icing using 40/50% off coupons, but DH says there's an aftertaste.

I've read about Sam's buttercream here. I called the only Sams with a bakery within a 60 mile radius and the lady said they don't sell the buttercream separately. How are there Sams that would sell buttercream, but not the one here? (Northern Indiana) Should I take the chance and drive up there anyway and see what the bakery department says?

Do you have a Gordon's Food Service near by? I saw icing in tubs there a while back...never tried it.

If you don't like making icing...and who does....but have no other option.....why not make a bunch all at once, package it in containers and freeze it? You can then thaw a tub in the frige as needed......besides....nothing will taste as good as your own recipe once you get it fine tuned.

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 7

Did you talk with the actual bakery department? If not, call back and ask to speak to someone in the bakery department. Ask them, if they say no; ask to speak to the bakery manager. I have bought mine at 3 different Samâs Clubs, and although I am in PA, I would think that it is a company wide policy. I know that they do not place it for sale on the shelves; you must go to the bakery department and ask to purchase it. I pay like $32 for a 5-gallon bucket, price went up like $5 in the last year, I guess it is just like everything else going up!
Oh, my regular Samâs asked me to call ahead by a few days so they can make sure they order an extra for me. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 7

I've heard that many of the Sam's don't sell their buttercream. You may have to talk to the bakery manager before you make that drive. I had a bucket of it and at the time, I was very satisfied with it (for several projects in two weeks). It crusts very well, doesn't taste bad and people seem to like it. You can try to flavor it, but it still maintains it's own "Sam's Flavor". It's not bad. Here in Arkansas, i got a 25 lb bucket of it for $32. I loved it for cupcakes, iced a 3 tier wedding cake and still had more than half a tub left. It's worth buying at least once to see how you like it. I think it's economical, because you can do LOTS of cakes wtih that one tub. This is the But'R'Cream that i'm talking about. They also have their whipped icing (Bettercream, $17) that has to be kept frozen.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

Call and ask to talk to the bakery department and ask them about the buttercream. I buy mine from Sams here adn it is about 32.00 per bucket. Pay attention when you pick it up and make sure they dont give you Bettercreme by mistake.

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you everyone! I would make my own (well, at least ask my husband to do it), but I don't have a KA (its on my Xmas wish list!) and its a paaaaain to use a hand mixer.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 7

I'm new to cake decorating and would also just ice and go, so everyone's input has also been very helpful to me. THANK YOU!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%