Dry Ice?

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:06am by TuckerCaker

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone worked with dry ice? I want to use it for a cake I'm doing for next weekend. I know it can be dangerous and this is for a cake for a child's birthday party. What precautions should I take or is it even worth the risk?

Does it keep the "smoking" effect the entire time it's sitting? Mine would be in a volcano, and I would have the dry ice hidden in a cup, not touching the cake.

I'd really appreciate hearing about your experience with this stuff so I can make an informed decision on what to do.

Thank you thank you! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymnn

Has anyone worked with dry ice? I want to use it for a cake I'm doing for next weekend. I know it can be dangerous and this is for a cake for a child's birthday party. What precautions should I take or is it even worth the risk?

Does it keep the "smoking" effect the entire time it's sitting? Mine would be in a volcano, and I would have the dry ice hidden in a cup, not touching the cake.

I'd really appreciate hearing about your experience with this stuff so I can make an informed decision on what to do.

Thank you thank you! icon_smile.gif

It's relatively safe...after all, it's just carbon dioxide. Small quantities can be handled safely....the biggest concern is that NO ONE TOUCHES DRY ICE WITH THEIR BARE HANDS. The temperature is so low that it will cause severe skin damage, much the same as a burn.

To get a good volcano, place a small container of water in the cake and when ready, add a few small chunks of dry ice.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 6

I heard that you can sometimes get small quantities at Baskin Robbins. Haven't checked into it yet. Also, I have read that you need to be cautious about storage. Check with the supplier, though. Good luck. I'd love to hear how it turns out...I'd like to use it for a cake design that I have in mind.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 6

I made a volcano cake last year and used dry ice with great success. I had a long narrow glass in the center filled with a soupy mixture of red/orange marshmallow fluff and at the last minute dropped the dry ice in. It was an amazing display of lava bubbling up and out of the volcano.

TuckerCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TuckerCaker Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 6

Yes, if you have not used dry ice in the past, I recommend you take a look at the safety recommendations at this dry ice website. The site also has an article on creating dry ice fog. All you really need to do is place dry ice in water. Enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%