Ultimate Cake Off

Lounge By cylstrial Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 3:47am by jniner

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob

icon_cry.gif I am not going there but it did work in practice and you never know what might work until you try just maybe I shouldn't try it on national TV LOL Thanks

Hi Big Bob...

I watched the show and i just wanted to say that I would have you make a cake for me anytime.

We all have caketastrophy's...granted yours was on TV but you handled it with such grace, professionalism and humor that even my hubby and kids were rooting you on! (They never watch anything cake related)

Hold your head up high, you deserve it and earned it! Chances are if that was me I would have dropped out of the competition, but after watching you last night I can only hope to have that much class!

Welcome to CC!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #32 of 57

It was a fun show. Bob, the painting on your treasure map was amazing. I really hoped to see it finished but you handled yourself beautifully. FWIW, a friend of mine lives down the street from your bakery. She said she is in awe of your work and that your cakes taste amazing. If buttercream is your thing though, why not do the cake in buttercream? I couldn't do a buttercream cake to save my soul but I'd love to see more people do it on camera.

I thought the treasure chest cake was fantastic. It just reminded me of a rustic old haunted house. There were tons of great details and a lot of humor in the piece. They kept saying the work was sloppy but it didn't come through on TV to me. The ship cake was good too but the figures were amazing. They almost ellipsed the cake because they were so good.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #33 of 57
Quote:

icon_cry.gif I am not going there but it did work in practice and you never know what might work until you try just maybe I shouldn't try it on national TV LOL Thanks

Holy cow Bob, your treasure map was absolutely beautiful!! My daughter and I watched the show and all I could say was "OMG - look at that treasure map!"
Really, if you hadn't tried it on TV the judges would have probably made some comment about not pushing the envelope. I'm learning to not listen to the judges! You're ideas were great, your map was freakin' awesome and your team worked so well together, it was a pleasure to watch!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:05am
post #34 of 57

just finished watching...i loved the pirate cake!...so much detail!...and he worked with his mom and sister the whole 9 hours! icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #35 of 57

I'm pissed that the judge said the girl's cake was sloppy--that was beyond uncalled for.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #36 of 57

Hi Bob, you handled yourself beautifully and should hold your head high. Your cake was amazing. I'm the lights played havic on the buttercream. The map was awesome.

I think Susan's cake was awesome. I really thought she should have won the competition. I could not see why the male judge kept saying her cake was a mess. I am so glad she stood up for herself with such grace. She accepted it was not to her standards, but it certainly was not a mess. Whatever flaws she had was not visible on camera. And the fact that she had to lose 30 minutes of time and still finished. Even though the judge felt she could have slowed down and done more. What is with that???

Mike's cake was great, but the tears were visible on camera. I'm glad he had the opportunity to take the lead over his mom. What a great confidence booster.

All the cakes were great but there can only be one winner in the end. I do really like the show. Not as much drama as Cake Boss.

BigBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigBob Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #37 of 57

icon_redface.gif I just want to thank everyone for there very kind words of support!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #38 of 57

Welcome and look forward to seeing more of your cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #39 of 57

Bob, you totally rock!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #40 of 57

AM I confused or did Bob win the eating part of the cake competition? I think that was pretty important and OMG I wanted a piece of that yummy cake so bad....Bob made my grandson and I laugh with tears of joy when he road his cake into the room....too funny and what a real winner!!! I would have cried like a baby, and he was a real hero for kids to look up to..I am so proud of him. Great job Bob and better luck next time, and I hope we will see you again....great cake design

-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #41 of 57

That reminds me that that same male judge was annoying about the uber coconut cake too. I'm not into the insulting critiques. He's kinda full of
himself huh.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #42 of 57

MBoyd, thanks for chatting with us! Your kind words about the competitor cakes is really refreshing to hear. I really enjoyed watching the show. Not so much the competition part of it, but the creative part. I loved how the teams were considerate of one another and did not bring any nasty drama to the show. Each and everyone of you are very talented and I loved each cake for different reasons. To all involved with the creating the cakes "your cakes rocked!"

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:42am
post #43 of 57

Yeah I actually thought the girls had a good chance of winning .........sloppy,,,,,,,,,,he should try competing and see how he does in such a short time......what a sh^%

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #44 of 57

He wouldn't, he's not a cake artist. So not qualified to judge in my opinion. He certainly swayed the client by his comments though, in my opinion. All judging is subjective anyway, but I think if there are rules, like it has to be 5' tall, that is not negotiable. The contestants really are the ones to be commended for doing these challenges. Shows a lot of talent and character for them and their teams. Congratulations just for being in this challenge and letting us watch.

madgeowens Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #45 of 57

I thought he was really quite nasty to her.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #46 of 57

I agree, to me a tv camera does not give someone the license to rebuke a contestant Simon Cowell style. That schtick works for Simon. But it's been done and apparently it's an art form. For example, Kerry does it well. She offers legitimate critiques because she's walked the walk.

This judge on Ultimate has neither the art form nor the expertise. He's just lobbing mudballs not ginning up drama but making the show undesireable, less watchable, painful.

Yeah let's tune in and see how offensive the clueless guy is to the next hard working artist. Shooting fish in a barrel--captive audience--beneath dignity.

Wow I just checked the show website to get the bio on that judge, dude, he ain't even listed there. M. Braun has one paragraph, Leigh Grode has a detailed page long bio from Easy Bake oven to the stars.

Wow clueless guy's getting no respenct from the show either.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/ultimate-cake-off/judges.html

And I'll stand corrected if I am wrong that he is indeed a cake make/designer but pretty sure he's a chef--regardless he needs to tone it down.

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #47 of 57

there is a link for a bio on the host:
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/ultimate-cake-off/host.html

Its my understanding that he's a chef that has some TV experience, but he's not a pastry/sugar guy.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #48 of 57

I'm looking forward to next weeks show - I want to see if that judge continues to be ugly. I also want to pay attention to his intro to see what his area of expertise is. I had to let the dogs out and missed the intro for this show. (Gotta love my schnauzers!)

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #49 of 57

So I do stand corrected that he's the host not exactly a judge but he does offer up his critique.

He's out of his line of work there. He was successful when he said that he wished the work had been cleaner- it lacked precision--needed more clarity--was awkward. But give somebody a few hours to create something that it would take days to make and then douse them with a cheap shot (sloppy) demeans the process and the author of the remarks to me. It's hitting below the belt.

MBoyd Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

MBoyd, thanks for chatting with us! Your kind words about the competitor cakes is really refreshing to hear. "

Thanks for that!

My feeling is that there are many amazing and talented people in our field. Since you're on CC, you probably already know that cake artists need a huge array of skills in order to be successful... not only do you have to know how to bake - and do it well, but art, design, architecture, sculpture, painting, calligraphy/typography, engineering, and creativity are all part of it too. Not to mention, people skills and business know-how. My hat is off to ANYONE who not only possesses all these skills but has the drive and passion to make a career out of it.

There's so much to learn from other people - to not take the time to see what they're doing that's cool and innovative would be a huge missed opportunity. That's one of the many things that I love about sugar art! The day that I stop learning new stuff? Stick a fork in me - I'll be done.

I guess my little rant here is because I really just don't get it when people are catty or have a "know-it-all" attitude... I don't think it'll get them very far.

MBoyd Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #51 of 57

Yeah, and I have to agree, that Susan had a rough day with the judges... She stood her ground though!

And good for her!!!!!!!!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #52 of 57

LOVED the show! In fact, my entire family loved the show! My daughter (7) was almost in tears for Bob, though. Great to see you here, Bob and company.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #53 of 57

Bob, do you have a picture of the practice cake? Would be nice to see what the cake was supposed to look like.

MBoyd Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #54 of 57

At the TLC website, there's a slideshow of all three cakes and the original concept sketches.

You'll see a shot of Team Yellow's cake before it lost its brave battle with gravity....

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/ultimate-cake-off/slideshows/ultimate-cakes-episode-2.html

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #55 of 57

Y'know what though? Giving the team that wins the mini challenge an extra 30 minutes is a much better idea than pitting them against each other and penalizing a team.

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoyd

There's so much to learn from other people - to not take the time to see what they're doing that's cool and innovative would be a huge missed opportunity. That's one of the many things that I love about sugar art! The day that I stop learning new stuff? Stick a fork in me - I'll be done.

I guess my little rant here is because I really just don't get it when people are catty or have a "know-it-all" attitude... I don't think it'll get them very far.

MBoyd, my feelings exactly!

I am a fan of Bob's work. I saw him do a cupcake presentation at an Illinois DOS. Next time I see you all I totally want to shake your hands and say great job. You guys rock!

jniner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jniner Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #57 of 57
Quote:

I think you handled it beautifully, Bob!!! No worries, I am sure it happens tp everyone at some point in time! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%