Don't Try This At Home!

Decorating By cupsncakes Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 12:36am by Rylan

cupsncakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 10

I've had my kitchen aid about 5 years, and after about 16 000 cupcakes and hundreds of cakes it hasn't been running as well as it used to. My husband is a mechanical fitter by trade so I've been nagging him to take a look at it and give it a service. After weeks of nagging, he finally decided he was going to pull it apart last night, right there on the kitchen bench, "just for a look". Well, oh my goodness what a mess! icon_eek.gif Take a look at the photos. He had me running around for rags and newspaper to deal with all the greasy parts! I could have killed him for starting the job right there in the kitchen, not to mention I was very nervous that it might not ever run again. But bless him, it's all back together, and running like a dream again icon_wink.gif Moral of the story though, don't let hubby attempt this in the kitchen, it's definately not a job for the faint hearted icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
3GCakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 10

Your poor KA! I hope you gave it lots of TLC after it's ordeal. These pictures really should be on the Mechanical Medical Channel and then only after 10:00 PM! icon_biggrin.gif

kimsmom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 10

I've had my KA for over 30 years (man I'm old), and the only thing I've replaced are the brushes ( the things that go into the black buttons on the sides of the head) because they wear down over time, and a the flat beater because it accidently got thrown away. After seeing your pictures I think I'll thank God everyday that all the power tools in our house belong to me. Except the lawn mower. Hubbie gets that.

BabyBear3 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 10

my husband would do the exact same thing! he would have it all taken apart, grease and all! he is very mechanical but I know the mess that it makes!!

I'm glad it still works!

sweetpea223 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for posting pics! I would never attempt to let my husband do that...unless he's like your hubby, a trusted mechanic. Anyway, been thinking of opening KA only because I think it does need some TLC of cleaning and re-oiling. Hmmmm... should I attempt it??? I have some deep thinking to do! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 10

Wow! Who knew that a KA had that much grease in it?

I'm glad that your hubby was able to fix it for you!

chelleb1974 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #7 of 10

I saw an episode of "How It's Made" that featured Kitchen Aid's. It was pretty interesting, and they sure do put a lot of grease in it! I was amazed when I saw it!

cupsncakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 10
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

I saw an episode of "How It's Made" that featured Kitchen Aid's. It was pretty interesting, and they sure do put a lot of grease in it! I was amazed when I saw it!

I think that's what surprised me the most! It was just full of grease icon_eek.gif Hopefully my trusty KA will now go on for another 30 years as well icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 10

Your very talented husband should go into the KA repair business! Everytime I take something apart and put it back together again, I have leftover pieces for some reason. And I know that cannot be good!

Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 10

Atleast your went back running, mines didn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%