Don't Try This At Home!

Decorating By cupsncakes Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 12:36am by Rylan

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 10

I've had my kitchen aid about 5 years, and after about 16 000 cupcakes and hundreds of cakes it hasn't been running as well as it used to. My husband is a mechanical fitter by trade so I've been nagging him to take a look at it and give it a service. After weeks of nagging, he finally decided he was going to pull it apart last night, right there on the kitchen bench, "just for a look". Well, oh my goodness what a mess! icon_eek.gif Take a look at the photos. He had me running around for rags and newspaper to deal with all the greasy parts! I could have killed him for starting the job right there in the kitchen, not to mention I was very nervous that it might not ever run again. But bless him, it's all back together, and running like a dream again icon_wink.gif Moral of the story though, don't let hubby attempt this in the kitchen, it's definately not a job for the faint hearted icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

9 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 10

Your poor KA! I hope you gave it lots of TLC after it's ordeal. These pictures really should be on the Mechanical Medical Channel and then only after 10:00 PM! icon_biggrin.gif

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 10

I've had my KA for over 30 years (man I'm old), and the only thing I've replaced are the brushes ( the things that go into the black buttons on the sides of the head) because they wear down over time, and a the flat beater because it accidently got thrown away. After seeing your pictures I think I'll thank God everyday that all the power tools in our house belong to me. Except the lawn mower. Hubbie gets that.

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 10

my husband would do the exact same thing! he would have it all taken apart, grease and all! he is very mechanical but I know the mess that it makes!!

I'm glad it still works!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for posting pics! I would never attempt to let my husband do that...unless he's like your hubby, a trusted mechanic. Anyway, been thinking of opening KA only because I think it does need some TLC of cleaning and re-oiling. Hmmmm... should I attempt it??? I have some deep thinking to do! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 10

Wow! Who knew that a KA had that much grease in it?

I'm glad that your hubby was able to fix it for you!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #7 of 10

I saw an episode of "How It's Made" that featured Kitchen Aid's. It was pretty interesting, and they sure do put a lot of grease in it! I was amazed when I saw it!

~Chelle

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

I saw an episode of "How It's Made" that featured Kitchen Aid's. It was pretty interesting, and they sure do put a lot of grease in it! I was amazed when I saw it!

~Chelle

I think that's what surprised me the most! It was just full of grease icon_eek.gif Hopefully my trusty KA will now go on for another 30 years as well icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 10

Your very talented husband should go into the KA repair business! Everytime I take something apart and put it back together again, I have leftover pieces for some reason. And I know that cannot be good!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 10

Atleast your went back running, mines didn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%