When The Bride Doesn't Want A Consultation

Decorating By OregonCakeLady Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 15

Do you ever do wedding cakes without ever meeting the customer before the wedding day? I have two brides that claim to be so busy that they just don't have time to sit down and do a tasting and discuss their cake. They just send me a picture of the cake they want and want to send a deposit in the mail. I am fine with this because I can replicate any picture of a cake but I just don't get it. I am amazed how much these women trust. Aren't they worried about what their cake is gonna look like. Im not super cheep either so I just don't understand these women.

Side Note:
One of the Brides has sent me about 15 pictures of cakes she likes. Every one of the pics is totally different! She wants me to come up with some original designs from these pics! I love coming up with original designs but these reference cake pics don't make any sense.

Should I do cakes with no consultation if it is no risk to me?

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 15

Sure..Why not..Less hassle for you.If the Bride is willing to bypass the tasting etc...then go with the pics and create a beautiful cake!! Some people can't be bothered with the details.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 15

I've done cakes where I never even meet the bride! Life really is busy and we live in the middle of nowhere and meeting is kind of difficult sometimes! Of course it's a lot easier when they have just ONE picture they'd like you to go from on the design! So far, this has worked great for me (thanks to email especially!) Go for it!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 15

Ask her what she likes about each of the cakes... It may be that she likes the color scheme of one, the shape of another, and the type of flower on another... That would make it pretty easy to combine them. Otherwise, figure out what is similar about all of the cakes... maybe they are all very clean and classy, or all somewhat retro. Then design something that falls into that category.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 15

I have a specially worded contract for these busy brides! I actually love it when this happens!! Recieve email, contract, photo and money!!! Yay!! No tasting / selling / stressing!!! I love it!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 15

I wouldn't give her a copy of your sketch though unless she has already given you her deposit. Because otherwise she could run off with your sketch - and that's your hard work and time.

cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 15

And I would also put something in the contract about how the bride was unable to meet with you and therefore did not taste your cakes, etc. You'll have to work on the wording - but that way they can't try to sue you for whatever.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 15

I'd probably run the other way if the bride didn't want the tasting/consult BUT...if you're ok doing this then be sure to have a contract sent to her for signature in which it states there was no consultation/tasting at bride's request and have a hold harmless clause just in case she doesn't like the design/flavor/etc. because she was too busy to do a tasting/consult. You don't want the bride requesting a refund after the wedding because she couldn't take the time to meet with you.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 15

Do people really sue decorators over CAKE??? Thats crazy. I mean I beleive that the do but I just can't understand it. What has the world come to?? Help me Obama, Help us Oprah Whinfrey, Help me jewish god, help me Tom cruize. Use your black science magic to slay the evil brides!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyP

Do people really sue decorators over CAKE??? Thats crazy. I mean I beleive that the do but I just can't understand it. What has the world come to?? Help me Obama, Help us Oprah Whinfrey, Help me jewish god, help me Tom cruize. Use your black science magic to slay the evil brides!

I love you!!!!!!!! I know --it makes me nutso--I've got a post started about this very matter in Cake Disaster forum.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649009-.html

27 look sees so far & no takers...to be continued ...

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 15

I have already booked 4 cakes for next summer without a consult. They're all from out of town and have been referred to me by a friend or relative that has had my cake at another wedding/function. Many times I never even meet the bride when I've done it this way in the past. They send their deposit to hold their date and then we go back and forth via email about style, colors, flavors, etc It works out great and I have a printed transcript of each and every conversation. I love it and as the OP said, less stress.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyP

That's some funny stuff right there... icon_lol.gif

And yes people really do due. When I had my shop we had about two a year sue us.

The stories I could tell on stupid after the fact lawsuits.

Once the words "I am going to sue came up our next comment was "thank you for letting us know, let me give you the name of our lawyer so yours can talk with ours as we can no longer discuss your case with us." There was usually a moment of silence (that was the moment the bride usually expected us to bend over backwards for her and when we didn't it was that "uh oh now what" silence).

We'd give them the information and then pass the bride's to our lawyer. He'd wait an hour, call and do his spiel "Hello I am _________, the legal representative for ___________. I need to ask you to not contact my clients from this point on and f you do they will be documenting it for me. I need to have your lawyer contact me so we can get this matter into court and settled as quickly as possible for you."

Most brides at that point would admit they were bluffing. He'd let them know that he would be billing the bride for an hour of his time since he had to spend time gathering information and working with his client based on an admitted lawsuit threat and false claim. You'd be surprised how many brides paid him for it too. icon_lol.gif

People sue over some pretty dumb stuff, or at least did back home.

cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 15

People are always suing over dumb stuff. There are lots of people on here who are always talking about it. That's why you need a contract with specific info about cakes. There's one guy who had to put in his contract that he is not responsible for the cake if it falls over due to over zealous dancing. LOL!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 15

I do half of my biz thru email and snail mail. Photos of drawings, contracts, and check and contract back from bride in the mail. I have met many brides for the first time on the date of the wedding. Some, I never meet.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #15 of 15

I have worked for lawyers for over 20 years (the job that pays the bills). You wouldn't believe some of the clauses I've had to type into agreements. We live in a litigious society. People will sue over anything if they think they can get some money out of it. Often, however, the court case costs more than the original amount, so no one wins.

Carolynlovescake, you've got the best way of handling it. If someone threatens to sue, tell them that you will no longer speak with them and you will refer your lawyer to them directly. You've got a great lawyer, too, for the way he handles them. Hope he's on a retainer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%