Advice Needed Please

Decorating By TyeRiley Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:07am by TyeRiley

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 9

So I'm making a birthday cake for my cousin whose turning 15. She wants an Albert Einstein cake. She wanted an albert Einstein face on the cake. So I make one out of fondant to go on the cake. Her mom calls me today and says the party date has changed and can I make the cake for next weekend instead of this weekend. My question now is can I somehow save this fondant face and still use it next weekend? Can it be frozen or something? Thankyou for your help.
Sara

8 replies
dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 9

It should be fine for next weekend. Just wrap it real tight in saran wrap. Also store it in a dark place. The light tends to fade colors.
Tracy

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 9

If you put it in an air tight bag I think it would be fine. A vacuum seal bag would be even better. As long as the fondant doesn't dry out it should be fine.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 9

ditto! fondant keeps for a long time as long as it's securely wrapped!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 9

Wow thats a bummer !!!

Well I really cant help much but I dont see why it would not work if (its only one week) .

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #6 of 9

I make all my fondant plaques and stuff weeks in advance. Just store them out of the light and away frm dust, etc.

TyeRiley Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #7 of 9

thankyou very much for the advice. I will wrap it tight then. Should I put it in the freezer though? Its a flat thin face that will lay on top of the cake and the nose and mustache stick out from the fact. It's only fondant too theres no gumpaste or anything mixed in. Thanks again.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 9

No - no fridge, no freezer. They will make condensation on the fondant when you take out the piece. That is the "kiss of death" for a piece of fondant. The moisture could make it go gummy and ruin the piece. In my photos, you will see a few fondant plaques, etc. I did all of them weeks in advance because of time pressures and of wanting the "paint" on the pieces to be good and dry. I stored them on waxed paper in a 9"x13" shallow glass pan, covered with saran (once the paint was dry), and on a flat area inside of a cupboard (to stay out of the light and safe from damage).

TyeRiley Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #9 of 9

Thankyou so very much again! I really didn't want to have to try to make it again. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%