First Paid Wedding Cake

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm by kellyanne1981

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 9

I actually posted the pictures yesterday but didn't get a chance to post in the forum.

This cake was many firsts. First paid wedding cake, first square cake, and first using the chocolate fondant.

I am pleased with the outcome even though I had difficulty with the corners. Now I'm just waiting to hear from the bride but since she is moving to another state today it will probably be a few days. So nerve racking!

Well here is the link to the pictures in the gallery. Any feedback good or bad is welcome.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1442669
Thanks Nikki

8 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 9

Very pretty cake Nikki, its beautiful, and it looks really yummy too. I know the bride will be so happy.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9

Very good job! Well done.

Did you cut the fondant on the corners of the cake? You don't have to do that on a square cake and you'll get a neater finish.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 9

Very Pretty Congrats on your many firsts, Awesome

pumpkinroses Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks all for the compliments.

NatalieMarie, how do you do it without cutting the corners? It kept ripping, of course it was homemade chocolate fondant and I seem to always have some trouble with it.

NatalieMarie Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 9

I always buy my fondant, in the UK we have some really nice fondants and regalice recently brought out a fondant made with pure belgian chocolate - so yummy!!

My fondant really only tears if I've rolled out abit too much, as the weight will be pulling at it and therefore causing it to tear. Cut any excess from the bottom quickly. Start with the corners when you're attaching your fondant and as you do the sides, lift UP the fondant alittle instead of smoothing downwards and this helps combat the nasty things that gravity does to your fondant. Also, if your fondant is alittle dry, this will cause it to tear, add alittle shortening and make sure it is nice and pliable before rolling it out.

If you have slight cracking on the surface of your fondant. Use the heat from your hands to smooth the fondant and this will minimise this problem and of course using your smoothers will also help.

pumpkinroses Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:14am
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for the information. I have some extra fondant left over and a few cake dummies so I will have to practice your technique.

NatalieMarie Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 9

good luck, I hope it helps!

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 9

wow! the cake is beautiful! well done!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%