Would Someone Tell Me Where To Find This Tool?

Business By addietx Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 10:54am by addietx

addietx Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 23

I am looking for a tool that divides in even segments. It can be stretched out like an accordion to make different widths but still keep equal separations. Is there someone who can tell me what this tool is called and where to purchase one?

22 replies
addietx Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 23

Kelleym that tool looks cool, much better than the Wilton ribbon cutter. All4cakes that tool is exactly what I am looking for but would you know if it can be used without the cutting wheels? I need to mark the sides of a cake in equal segments?
Thank you both so much for your help.

tonicake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 23

WOW! Those prices are very high. I found mine, the multi-wheel pasta cutter at my cake supply. It was $20 and its one of my favorite tool. It has 5 wheels and is very sturdy.

I'd definitely shop around before buying.


addietx Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 23

I need a tool for marking equal segments. I do not need to cut equal pieces. I am sorry, I did not make myself very clear. I am not doing a very good job of describing this. It is metal, opens and closes like an accordion and has metal wires at the tips that you drag across your frosting to mark equal segments.

all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 23

I just added the link for the sake of identifying the tool by name and one potential place to buy it...it happened to come up first in the bing search so I clicked on it. I wasn't even looking at the price

I don't know if they can be removed or not. Looking at it though, it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to replicate the mechanics of it....

all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 23


addietx Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 23

what is ....bbiab

all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 23
addietx Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 23

All4cakes you are the BEST. Yes, that is what I am looking for. Ebay prices are good. Thanks bunches.

grandmom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 23

That's a sewing tool! I knew that's what you were looking for the second I read your post, but too late...

I have it! It's for marking placement of buttons, etc.

Say again... how do you intend to use it on a cake?

all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 23

oh, yes! Thanks for noticin'! j/k you are so welcome! that was my hunt for the day.

addietx Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 23

We want to mark parallel lines around the side of the cake. Then it will easier to place fondant ribbons, decorations etc keeping them straight. The one my friend has is very old and has wire sticking out at the ends. It has gotten out of shape and does not work effectively anymore. The sewing tool looks like it has a place to insert a pin but I think it would still work to drag across the frosting.

alidpayne Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #16 of 23

I think she is going to use it to make lines on the cake that are an equal distance apart that way she can make sure all her decorations are symmetrical. So if you were putting on stripes or dots or something you can line them up perfectly

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:00am
post #17 of 23

Would this work? http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630394 Or are you looking for a comb like thing for the sides of the cake?

addietx Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #18 of 23

The accordion capability is what makes this tool so handy.

all4cake Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #19 of 23

I cut a piece of cardboard (a cake circle) the height of the cake and a comfortable width (about 3") parallel with the channels in the cardboard (so when you look at the long edge, all you see are the waves/holes). Then, I align the cardboard with the cake and make a mark on the cardboard for placement and insert either toothpicks or cut skewers (some boards have bigger 'holes' than others) where the markings are. I seriously don't have enough room for more gadgets...I'd probably lose it if I had one.

grandmom Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:47am
post #20 of 23

See... we each scratch different itches with how we solve our problems.
There are those who just love tools and gadgets, and I'm one of them. By golly, I'll find the money and I'll make room for every gadget I can find!

Then there are those who enjoy coming up with the solution on their own, by inventing tools and using existing ones for alternate purposes. Their buzz comes from "making do" and saving money.

What fun we all get to have.

And I have enjoyed lately finding cake-related uses for my sewing tools. Sharon Zambito says use a sewing ruler - great! I got one! (two, actually...). Buddy says steam your fondant. Great! I have his very model of Jiffy steamer! Now I have another use for my Simflex!

addietx Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:31am
post #21 of 23

Grandmom, which steamer do you have?

grandmom Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:39am
post #22 of 23

I have a Jiffy, model J-2000. It is an awesome tool. I sew a lot, and I use it to preshrink delicate fabrics, to shape seams, to steam large tablecloths, to "press" knit sweaters and tops, just a million uses. A couple of weeks ago, I steamed a bridal gown. And now I will steam fondant with it!

It really puts out the steam! I've burned myself a few times, until I learned to keep my left hand out of the line of fire.

To see it:


I can attest to the wonderful level of customer service the Jiffy folks provide.

addietx Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:54am
post #23 of 23

Thanks Grandmom. There is another thread about steamers. I posted about my use of a travel size steamer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%