Just Call Me The Cake Drudge

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm by BeeBoos-8599_

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 16

I just have to whine a little bit here. It has to go in the lounge instead of out where anyone can see it so these ladies I'm baking for don't come across it.

It's not fair when someone who could potentially make your life more difficult won't take no for an answer. I didn't want to bake this weekend, because I was busy with back to school details and wanted to spend time with my kids. So three weeks ago when they asked me about the cake I said I would be too busy. "Well, it doesn't have to be anything fancy," she said. "They're just not particular at all. And they're planning to pay you between $25 and $40." I told her it wasn't the money or the amount of detail or anything like that, I just didn't have time. Then two weeks ago she asked again. "Remember, it's impossible to find party supplies with a shark theme. So your cake is going to be the total centerpiece of the party." I told her I'd said I wouldn't have time because of back to school, and she pointed out that I don't work and I only have two kids to get ready for school so I shouldn't be that busy. I told her I had to go to meetings at both schools, plus the tax free weekend was that weekend and I'd really be too busy. So last week they sent me an email with the cakes they wanted. 3D cakes or tiered cakes, nothing simple.

I told my husband that they just wouldn't take no for an answer and he said I'd better just make the cake because otherwise when we renew our lease we'd find our rent going up, or if something broke in here it would be less likely to get fixed. So I'm doing the cake but I just can't help resenting it.

A little backstory...last year I made a cake for a little girl and her mom had made a cake for someone else's kid because it was a joint party. My cake looked like my cakes do and her cake didn't. The mom of the other kid wasn't happy and it was obvious. This cake is for the other kid and both moms were pushing me to make the cake.

LOL...if you're still reading this, thanks for listening to me whine.

15 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 16

Holy crap, that is way more than I would ever up with. I would have done with "no". Dang...sorry?

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 16

Anyone else, I'd tell them to f-off and go to Walmart for their cake, and not think twice about it. I've done that before icon_biggrin.gif

I just need to get over being irritated and get this thing done before I have to leave for parent orientation at 5.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 16

You've said no and they didn't listen. They asked again and you said no, yet they still think your doing it. What's wrong with these people!
I would tell them to go to Walmart and place an order or there will be no cake at the party. If they still demand tell them you'll do it but they will have to take your 3 kids school clothes shopping and supply shopping to get everything on the list. tapedshut.gif That should scare them off.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 16

Man! That lady's got some big uns.

I totally understand being busy at the start of the school year. I'm in the same boat as you - people wanting cakes and not understanding why I'm busy. I mean, really, how difficult can it be to get kids ready for the start of a new school year. Grrr......!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 16

Hey Texas Rose,
I cannot believe you let these women get thier way!
You cannot let them take advantage of you like this. As for the rent going up and things not getting fixed, that is what lawyers are for.
If you insist on doing it then knock it out of the ball park but only after calling them with the price you would normally charge and do not leave or start without 50% up front. Tell them that in the future, when you say no you mean it and you are only doing it so the poor kid will not get another "wreck" of a cake.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #7 of 16

is this your landlord?? if not...why are you doing the cakes?? icon_confused.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #8 of 16

It's the complex manager asking for the cake for the son of the lead maintenence man. Having the air conditioner working right can save me $150 a month. Last year my air conditioner didn't work right (usually 85 degrees in the house) all summer and my electric bills were $300 or more a month. This year I've been baking for the office staff and they've kept my air conditioner working just right. The maintenence men also came and moved my furniture when our pipes broke and I was in the wheelchair. So I haven't minded baking for them all but it's this one weekend that's getting to me.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 16

having lived in SA,TX in an apartment complex:

MAKE THE CAKE!

----OY -- the grief you'll save---

consider it your form of bribery!

oh your take on Mae West's "Come here big boy, I got somethin' to show you." (said in that sexy purr of hers!)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 16

I get the politics but I'm sorry you have to do use crucial time to do it--hey maybe keep something in the freezer for such a time as this? I mean keep it fresh--like recycle every few weeks or something.

$150 a month is significant huh.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 16

Oh man this one really gets to me.
These people KNOW they have you byt the short and curlies (as my eloquent hubby says). They are sitting there right now laughing at you and telling eachother how they can get you to do anything they damn well please. I would be looking for another apartment. Now that you have bowed to them, you will be at thier mercy any time they want something. icon_mad.gif . Hey, here is an idea, make the cake just a bit dry, just a bit crooked, just a bit off. Maybe they will stop ordering exstortion (sp?)cakes.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

having lived in SA,TX in an apartment complex:

MAKE THE CAKE!

----OY -- the grief you'll save---

consider it your form of bribery!

oh your take on Mae West's "Come here big boy, I got somethin' to show you." (said in that sexy purr of hers!)

I already did icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I know how it works here.

Just like I made two naughty cakes for them this summer, and a wedding cake.

BeeBoos, LOL at the extortion cakes icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just need to finish resolving our ID theft issues and move. We told ourselves we weren't going to live in another apartment complex, meaning we'd move from this one to buying a house, but that's gotten a little trickier than it used to be.

On the other hand, if I ever need to make a shark cake again I will know exactly how icon_razz.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #13 of 16

So Cake Drudge, where is the Extortion cake???

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #14 of 16

Here it is: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1442467

I just noticed in the photo the gills look like the fondant was buckling icon_razz.gif

And before you ask, $30 for ingredients is what I got.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #15 of 16

OMG. $30? That's highway robbery. Even doing it to prevent future AC problems, that's the most you could charge them for that piece of work?

That sucker feeds 50 easy (2 10in rounds plus a wonder mold, right?). I would have charged them $150 MINIMUM. Then maybe they'd quit asking.

I'm sorry.....I know you didn't ask my opinion. But highway robbery on top of extortion. Seems like you are making the cake for the Corleone's.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #16 of 16

Ok if I ever see you give into these people again I am flying my butt to Texas and kicking yours. Great job by the way icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%